Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Restoring a couple of bentwood chairs

Newqlder
Getting Established

Restoring a couple of bentwood chairs

Two chairs to refurbishTwo chairs to refurbishThese two old chairs are my next restoration project. I will post some pics as I progress with the work.

29CDD760-01A7-40CA-BCA9-CA2274ECB16F.jpeg

Newqlder
Getting Established

Re: Restoring a couple of bentwood chairs

I have completely pulled one of them apart and removed the remnants of the old rattan cane from the seat. The underneath side of the seat which has a groove around the line of holes will be filled with a suitable two pack adhesive mixed with sawdust that closely matches the colour of the timber of the chair. The top side then needs a groove routed in that to take the new rattan seat that will be installed in a one piece sheet instead of woven. Had to use a fine blade in the angle grinder to remove the very rusted on nuts and bolts. Still deciding whether to use bolts or plug the holes and then use screws as they would have in the original chairs. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Newqlder,

Many thanks for the update on your project. I trust our members will be looking forward to seeing some images of the progress.

Please keep the updates coming and let us know if you need any assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Certainly will Mitchell. 

I have been having troubles posting some text with pics. Tells me I have to review and remove. 

Is is the only way to continue to add to the post is to reply to my original post?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Newqlder,

Any updates to your project would be best added in a reply to your original post. You can then add new images and text.

Please feel free to private message @Jason and I next time you are having issues and we will assist.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Newqlder
Getting Established

The chair ring has been filled around the underneath groove that was used previously for the rattan cane weaving. All parts now presanded and ready to fill the holes in the top of the seat ring before routing the groove for new rattan cane.Presanded partsPresanded partsBottom groove filled with two pack blended with sawdustBottom groove filled with two pack blended with sawdustHard to get slotted screws but found two brass ones for this piece.Hard to get slotted screws but found two brass ones for this piece.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects