Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should we use a laser leveler for outdoor paving projects?

Jesse1
Having an Impact

Should we use a laser leveler for outdoor paving projects?

We are about to tackle a couple of outdoor paving areas and paths.  Can someone please advise if it would be of benefit for us to use a laser level and if there is a specific type for use outdoors

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: laser leveler

I've recently completed a small paving job, and I'd have to say a laser level would be beneficial for anything larger than a square meter @Jesse1.

Standard red beam lasers can be difficult to see outside in the sunshine, and green beam laser levels are typically used for this purpose, as they are much brighter and easier to detect. However, they can still struggle to be seen in the midday sun, so it's best to use them whilst not in direct sunlight.

The other alternative to laser levels is the good old-fashioned builder's line and a line level. A Stanley 2000mm Classic Box Level would also be a great help.

You should find this guide useful: How to lay paving for a path. Also, check out our Paving ideas for outdoor entertaining areas for inspiration.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: laser leveler

Thank you for the helpful advice. Appreciate it. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects