Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Slate floor is flaking - any ideas on how to fix this?

stupidfish
Building a Reputation

Slate floor is flaking - any ideas on how to fix this?

We have a small area in our home that has a slate floor. We've noticed that bits of it seem to be flaking away - especially if you happen to walk around bare foot. It becomes very messy and I'm concerned there could be permanent damage to the floor if I leave it. 

Can anyone offer an affordable suggestion on how to fix this?

Jackson
Making a Splash

Re: Slate floor is flaking - any ideas on how to fix this?

Do you know what's underneath it? Ripping it up could be an option...

The biggest plus in taking this route is that you no longer have a slate floor.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @stupidfish

Sorry for the slow reply.

Have you considered sealing the slate using something like http://www.bunnings.com.au/sealer-tileguard-4l-slate-sealer-63055_p6829109 or http://www.bunnings.com.au/crommelin-4l-slate-sealer_p0967058?

It might have the added bonus of enhancing the colour of the stone. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
stupidfish
Building a Reputation

Thanks Jason - might give that a go.

Eric
Cultivating a Following

My parents decided to put slate through our entire house sometime in the late 80's.  The floor sealer is the way to go to stop it flaking.  

We also needed restumping when the house sunk under a few tonne of new slate.... :smile:

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

@stupidfish

I was just reading about Kerlite porcelein cladding. Sounds like a good solution for installing over the top of slate floors. 

SoMuch2Do
Cultivating a Following

I have a lot of slate floors - all high quality tiles so no flaking. However before you seal the slate you will need to wash it and wash it (just mop and bucket of water) until the water is clear. May take a few attempts, depending how dirty. Any slate flakes will need to be removed. Sealing doesn't 'glue them back'. This will brighten the floor considerably.  Once clean and dry then give it a coat of sealer. Tip always end on a complete tile and go in one direction, otherwise it will show the strokes. Make sure you get the grout as well.

Many thanks for sharing @SoMuch2Do, great advice.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you as part of the community. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects