Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Structural Assessment

nuwa
Cultivating a Following

Structural Assessment

Hello

Does anyone know a good firm to get an assessment of structure - before a kitchen renovation. We are thinking of doing a Bunnings kitchen with an open plan, but do want to have an structural assessment before we plan. Basically on 3 sides of kitchen 

(Note: I had one firm, but he wanted to know what our plan is - like whether we want to open the kitchen to dining or living, but we want otherway around. We want to know which side can be less complex and plan the kitchen opening based on that) 

If its not a subject that I should take here - sorry. If naming other businesses arent allowed, advice on how to find is appreciated. Yellow pages got me the one I told

nuwa
Cultivating a Following

Re: Structural Assessment

oh. sorry. Just saw there s a similar post on discussion.. apologies

nuwa
Cultivating a Following

Hi

@Jason Is anyone out there who can identify Load bearing / not if I upload some photos

I am going to get professional help, but just want to have an idea before going as all of them request for plan (which walls to be taken off) , etc . So I just want to have idea before going ahead

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nuwa,

It would be helpful for our members if you could take some images of the area, draw a plan with rooms dimensions and provide us with some details on what you would like to achieve. That way we can assist you in possible walls that could be removed to achieve that look. Once you know which walls are likely to be removed, a professional can then assess whether they are load-bearing for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
nuwa
Cultivating a Following

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thank you for your reply. I took some photos and noticed roof is truss type and the cross beams are not lying on top of walls (as I can see)

Here are some pictures. (My roof is tiles. does that have to anything with load bearing walls or not)

I have attached the plan. I want to remove either Kitchen to Launge wall (preferred) or kitchen to Laundry/ Dining walls. 

As I said, non of the beams that hold truss timber are not lying directly on top of wall. I was assuming it cannot be load bearing but I have no knowledge at all on these. I dont know whether these pictures are of any help

planplanroof2.jpgroofroof

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nuwa,

It's fantastic you have identified off your plan what walls you would like to potentially remove.  An experienced builder or a structural engineer can do an inspection and ascertain if the walls are load-bearing. Unfortunately from these images, it would be extremely difficult to give an accurate answer. This is really a job for the professionals, it would be worth calling around a few explaining what you require and employing one that is happy to do so.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
nuwa
Cultivating a Following

Hi

Thanks for you reply.. Yes, I could hardly get a good photo because I could not reach properly. Anyway I will go with an engineering firm

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects