Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Study - Install a desk

BeeEss
Just Starting Out

Study - Install a desk

desk.jpg

Hi Fellow Diy(ers) 

Installing a desk and two floating shelves above it. (desk is the green lines) 

The desk will be supported by a wall on three sides. 

I've got a messmate wood table top cut and plan to install it as a floating desk. 

What kind of support will it need?

One of the walls is an other wall but on level 1 of the house so am assuming it not brick if its on level 1? How can i tell? 

And am concerned the desk is too heavy as it weighs in almost 15kg plus... is that normal ?

Cheers, 
Bee

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Study - Install a desk

Hi @BeeEss,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. So sorry for the delay in replying. I'm sure the ever-helpful @MitchellMc will be more than happy to assist when he is back on the site tomorrow, and @ProjectPete who has done projects like this in the past might like to share his thoughts in the meantime.

I trust that you'll get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our wonderful community. Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @BeeEss,

I'd also like to welcome you to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

As @Jason has mentioned @ProjectPete created a discussion on how he went about a similar install. In his Floating desk - brick wall install he has hidden the supports behind plaster for a very sleek look. You could simply use Dynabolts directly into the brick wall and have the brackets exposed if you didn't want to go to that amount of effort.

Your walls should either be solid masonry or hollow with plaster over timber studs. If you tap on a brick wall they will not produce much of a noise and studs walls will have a noticeable hollow sound to them.

You might like to read through some of these previous discussions:

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

Thanks team for the links. I will need support on 3 sides its seems to balance the weight of using it as a study.

After a lot of reading, i think I'll need a frame under the desk to support it. Planning to make a 3 sided frame screwed into the wall studs.  What wood will be suitable for the frame?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @BeeEss,

A suitable timber to make a frame from would be Porta 42 x 42mm 2.4m Standard and Better Pine DAR. It would be strong enough to support the desk whilst also looking quite attractive.

You might also like to consider what @ProjectPete has done. You could have two larger brackets going into the rear wall and two smaller brackets on either side going into the side walls. These smaller brackets would be located closer to the front edge to support the weight there where it is most needed.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects