Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sunroom add on best way to insulate?

Jude1
Just Starting Out

Sunroom add on best way to insulate?

Hi I have an add on sunroom which is not insulated. I want to know what is the best way to insulate it. It faces East and gets the full morning sun which makes it very hot. As I see it I have five options: window tinting, thermal roller blinds, pay someone to insulate the ceiling, an awning or block out curtains. Can anyone tell me where they would start first so I don’t have to spend too much money? Thank you

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sunroom Add on best way to insulate

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jude1. It's a pleasure to have you join us and many thanks for your question about insulating your sunroom.

You've covered most of your options there. A couple of easy solutions you can try yourself would be applying window tint and an exterior shadecloth blind. The tint will prevent excessive sunlight from entering the room and the blind will prevent the exterior wall from heating up by providing a buffer zone. At the moment the infrared light enters through the glass and strikes the blinds opaque surface. It then heats up the blinds which distribute that heat into the room's air. You could install the tinting and blind over a weekend for some instant relief.

The next challenge will be the ceiling, which undoubtedly is contributing heavily to your situation. You might like to read through the following discussions where our members have come up with some solutions: 

It appears you might have enough space to frame out the ceiling, fill between the timbers with insulation and then clad with plasterboard. Having this layer of insulation under the metal roof will be beneficial. Check out the discussion above about insulating a sunroom with a Colorbond roof. @Terryahh came up with a unique way of insulating on top of their roof.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects