Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

The things you find when renovating

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

The things you find when renovating

I was tidying up under the house yesterday and found a few treasures.

Unfortunately there wasn't any cash or gold, but I did really enjoy reading some old pages of Melbourne's The Truth and The Australasian Post from the 1950s.

Some of the articles included a piece on Melbourne's answer to Sydney's Opera House, a piece on the Malayan War and an add for Asbestos building sheets.

Have you ever found any old treasures in your house?

Jason

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: The things you find when renovating

I like this story of a couple finding a fully stocked Fallout shelter from the 60s.

shelter.jpg

article-2337247-1A307A0F000005DC-138_634x422.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Here's a couple more ads for those renovating their kitchen from the papers I found:

IMG_1174.JPG IMG_1177.JPG

image.jpgFound these when putting in our deck

Janina_G
Having an Impact

Im like Jason,  

Newspapers from 1944,  used as wallpaper - cover the small extension to the original external laundry, bathroom and toilet shed.  They are pasted on right side up, upside down, sideways and every which way.  and make for interesting reading about the 2nd worl war,  Japan, USA and Germany.... 

BTW we found the shed after we cut back all the ivy, and other growth going rampant around the yard

Plus hundreds of original Golden books,  some old copper pots and thingys,  Vases,  Enough good paint to paint 2 bedrooms,  Good Food larder from the 40's,  huge pile of big floor tiles,  gorgeous grey blue colour, A couple of good fly wire doors with locks.  windows with bubble effect.

And beside the garage,  the dumping ground for old car parts....   enjoyed that :smile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How are your renovations going @Janina_G? It's been a while since we saw you on Workshop. :bigsmile: Hope all is well.

Jason

Hi Jason and everyone.

Sorry,   I havent have any emails etc  so "assumed" the group had disbanded.

Renovations......    let see.?

I must have kicked a Cinaman as eveything has gone down the tubes.    At the point now that I dont care.....Had an almost complete bathroom except the wall between the kitchen and bathroom was crooked,  and builder dissappeared.   bye

Second builder who was  helping as fill in decided to do me a favour amd enlarge my bathroom by 2 feet instead of just moving the wall to make is straight...  enough said.

Support beam has had me pulling me hair out until today when I was told its called a lintel.  

So were are my renovations.

Alli insulation installed,  bathroom now incomplete.  Plaster cant do the ceiling till the support beam is up and have no idea where builder has dissappeared too.

So at the moment I am stuck  unless there are some nice guys  who would like to have a holiday in the country for a week and help me finish off this debacle.

Have decided,  the country businessess are just very laidback compared to city...  also much more expensive..... but that is life.   I will get there.    

I am happy that I am over the anger at messing up my house with someone elses ideas..

Now that I have finished my whinge,  bet you wish you never asked....  and dont menion Bunning to me....  they are a sore point at the moment as well....  Told you I kick a chinaman now all of China is out to get me back  :smile:

Blessings

Janina

BTW my setting are set to email me if someone replies,  but I used to get emails when anyone made comment on Workshop,   so is that something in my settings????

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

So sorry to read of your troubles @Janina_G but good to have you back on Workshop. We're not going anywhere!

If you'd like to change your notifications settings, visit the Subscriptions section of your My Settings page.

If you need any help or advice from the Workshop community about finishing off your bathroom, I'd suggest creating a new discussion so it is nice and prominent and easy for others to spot. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects