Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tips for fixing broken roof batten and adding insulation

Lime
Getting Established

Tips for fixing broken roof batten and adding insulation

Insulation.pngHi everyone,
I am wondering if anyone can share some knowledge about fixing roof batten and insulation topic. How that get done and what material you need ( type of wood)? Also When do you need to top up insulation? How do you calculate how much insulation you need for your roof? Just thought I prep myself a bit of knowledge before  talking to handyman and getting the quote for the job. Thank you all and appreciate the help.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: fixing broken roof batten and adding insulation tips

Hi @Lime. I apologise for the delay in my reply, I'd be happy to assist with your insulation question.

Insulation batts come in R values, the higher the R rating the better the thermal insulation. You will only need to top up your insulation if they have significantly flattened over many years. This can be identified if they are flat, not fluffy at all and are sunk lower than the ceiling beams. Batts are generally sold in two widths to suit your roof joists of 430mm and 580mm. You can calculate how much insulation you will need by determining how many square meters your ceiling is and then dividing that by the coverage on the insulation batts package.

Below I have added two videos the first about How to insulate a ceiling and the second How to top up your roof insulation.

For the broken roof batten, you might find the handyman replaces the whole batten instead of repairing it. They will possibly need to remove a portion of your tiles to gain access and re-wire the tiles to the new batten. It will be replaced with a similar size and type of timber as the existing batten.

If you have further questions about insulation or need assistance, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Lime
Getting Established

Re: fixing broken roof batten and adding insulation tips

Hi @MitchellMc Thank you for explaining it well and for the video link. Greatly appreciate the help.👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects