Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Treated pine types, and delivery for building verandah roof

pstq
Having an Impact

Treated pine types, and delivery for building verandah roof

I'd ask these questions in store, but I'm hard of hearing, and find it difficult. I need some timber for a verandah roof.

What's the difference between these two timber types:

140 x 45mm Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing - 5.4m I/N: 8032274

140 x 45mm MGP10 H2F Termite Treated Pine Blue Timber Framing - Linear Metre I/N: 8031104

The second one says it's kiln dried, but the first one doesn't. Does that mean it'll warp? The second one also comes up in the untreated pine section - why?

I tried to order online 2 x 5.4m of the second one, but was told they can't get it. There's no option for ordering the first one with delivery, but I can't get 5.4m home myself, even on the trailer. How can I get it home?

Also, I see that size on ebay for half the price. Why the difference? Is it wetter?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Treated pine types, and delivery for building verandah roof

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @pstq. It's great to have you join us. From your other posts it seems you have a great deal of knowledge and experience to share with other members so we're looking forward to you joining in more discussions. It will also be great to see you build your verandah. Please keep us updated along the way.

I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to answer your timber questions as soon as possible.

In the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to me if you need a hand getting the most from the Workshop site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @pstq

Thank you for sharing your question about treated pine.

The difference between the two types of timber is that the kiln-dried one requires more resources to produce. Kiln-dried is a forced but controlled process where humidity and temperature are controlled using steam and fans for drying. This process makes the timber less likely to cup or twist. The other one is air-dried, this type of process allows the timber to dry off naturally and is not forced by mechanical means. 

Some stores carry this length in stock and others need to order them in. When ordering long lengths of timber for delivery it is necessary to call the store to arrange delivery as standard delivery charges can't be applied to it. If you need assistance ordering these products please tell me the closest store in your area and I will give them a call.     

Bunnings goes through many checks and balances when acquiring timber, they make sure that it is ethically sourced and passes Australian standards. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your verandah built.

If you wish to know more here is a handy link: Sustainability

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

pstq
Having an Impact

So are those two types I listed both dried the same amount? Or is the kiln dried one dryer? I've seen treated pine warp badly.

I'm thinking now I'll buy shorter lengths and join them, and save the delivery fee.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @pstq

Thank you for the update. It all depends on how long the naturally dried one has been out in the open. It is difficult to tell as only the timber producer has that information. The kiln-dried timber will be more stable in the long run compared to the air-dried one. Please keep us updated.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

pstq
Having an Impact

I've still got nowhere with this. I put in an inquiry about Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 140 x 45mm (Item Number: 8032254) asking for a quote to pick up 4 x 3m of it, but never got a reply, just the inquiry confirmation email. It's inquiry number 1444636497449. Could somebody please check why they haven't replied?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @pstq,

I apologise that you have not been contacted back about your enquiry. I'll reach out via PM to get some additional details and follow this up for you.

Many thanks.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects