Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ugly steel door frames... How to change?

amclaughlin09
Growing in Experience

Ugly steel door frames... How to change?

Hi Everyone,

We are currently trying to make our house a little nicer, lots of stuff going on, but one thing that has us stumped is a solution to covering the ugly steel door frames for our inside doors... we love the wood architrave look, but don't want to rip out all the door frames and replace them... is there any way of fixing architraves to the frames?

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Ugly steel door frames... How to change?

From what I have seen steel frames can either be flush fitted or have an architrave of around 38 x 12.

Assuming that there are no light switches you can screw into the steel frame or use an adhesive. You will have to work around any skirting board and if it is not a flush mounted frame rebate carefully so you get a nice fit. Fill in any screw holes and gaps, sand and paint.

If you want to go for a stained or varnished look your better off changing the frame out and doing it properly. I am looking at doing it 10 times at home and changing the skirting boards over and making new doors as the old frames are either weathered, worn or out of square and have the added joy of light switches being frame mounted as well.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @amclaughlin09.

I see you have already received some helpful advice from Brad which is fantastic. Would you like to upload an image of the frame so members can see what you are working with? How many of these frames would you need to convert?

As Brad mentioned the process becomes harder if you wish to have a finished timber look as fixing holes need to be disguised and joins are less forgiving. I have however seen some fantastic transformations using painted timber architraves.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @amclaughlin09,

Great to finally join in the discussion on Workshop after being a member for some time. And fantastic to see you receive some prompt and detailled answers to your question. 

Please let us know if you require further assistance. We are looking forward to seeing what you can do with your door frames, and other projects you decide to tackle around the house and garden.

Jason

Good morning everyone, thanks for the advice. We are just wanting to paint them white, so staining is no problem. 

I have attached a few photos. Some places are harder than other as they are flush against a wall or another door frame.

Thanks again everyone, this has been a problem that's been bugging me for months. 

20200511_081444.jpg

20200511_081359.jpg

20200511_081407.jpg

20200511_081438.jpg

Hi @amclaughlin09.

There is a range of Porta mouldings which can be used individually or in a combination to give a similar look to the image I posted previously.  If you liked the look of a Colonial moulding it can be fixed to the face of the metal frame and an infill strip of something like Clear Pine Tri-quad Moulding 12 x 12mm 3.0m Porta used to blend it to the wall. It generally would be a case of taking some measurements of the metal frames profile and seeing what works with it.

Did you want just the metal covered or were you looking for a wide architrave look? Consideration will also need to be made as to how this is going to flow into your existing skirting boards.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for the reply again. I loved the look of your doors, and funnily enough we have just started installing colonial skirting boards, so it's rather fitting. You've been so helpful, thank you very much. I'm going to have a look at those items straight away. Thank you. 

Hi Mitch,

Im looking at doing this myself as well. Whats the best way to attach the moulding to the metal door frame?. Also with the the pine in-fill backing, do you use any kind of gap filler before you paint and dress up the frame.

Cheers J

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jcurtis

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the best way to attach timber moulding to your steel door frames.

There are a few choices, you either screw the timber moulding into the steel frame or use construction adhesive such as liquid nails. If you want it to be very secure you can use both methods. If you use a gap filler, just make sure that it is a paintable filler. So even if you put it in before or after you paint it will be safe to do so.

If planned carefully and measured properly you should have minimum gaps in your build.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your steel door frames covered in timber.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects