Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Valet chair furniture restoration

Simon
Having an Impact

Valet chair furniture restoration

IMG_8110.JPGSome quick before and after photos of a recent vintage furniture restoration project.

My partner purchased this valet chair/butlers stool off Facebook Marketplace. The brass plated rods were badly rusted (hard to see in the before photo - I only have a screenshot from the original Facebook post).

Unfortunately sanding back the rust began to expose the bare metal beneath and the brass look could not be saved. We decided to spray paint the metal a satin black to match other furniture in the house. Luckily the leather on the cushion is in great condition.

The metal was primed with an etch primer spray first - the black top coat is adhereing OK to the surface. Not super durable.Before - Apologies for the low-res photoBefore - Apologies for the low-res photo

IMG_8110.JPG

Enjoy!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Valet Chair Furniture Restoration

That's an exceptionally unique chair and a fantastic project, @Simon!

It's always nice to keep original elements, but unfortunately, that's not always possible. I think you've made a great subtle choice with the black satin.

I'm not sure what type of spray you've used, but you could consider spraying over that paint with White Knight Rust Guard 310g Satin Black Epoxy Enamel Spray Paint if durability becomes an issue. If you hadn't already used epoxy paint like this, it would be substantially more durable than standard spray paints. If you had already used epoxy paint, it might be worth clear coating over it, offering more protection.

Many thanks for sharing, as I'm sure this project will provide some great inspiration to our other members.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc 
I used the Dulux Metalshield range of spray paints. Two coats of Etch Primer and top coat each, plenty of drying time, etc.

Very happy with the finish, very even/smooth. But as I was reassembling, I noticed tiny little chips of paint where I’d knocked the metal. I’ll have to handle with care now that it’s finished.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You'll find the durability of the paint should get better as time goes by @Simon. Epoxy paints touch dry fairly quickly but can take up to two weeks to fully cure/harden. Regardless of the chips, you've done an exceptional job and should be very proud of your efforts.

I can't wait to see your next project. Well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects