Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What are the best dry wall anchors or screws?

AmandaV
Growing in Experience

What are the best dry wall anchors or screws?

I'd like to put shelves in my laundry and family room, attaching them to dry walls. They will need to bear loads of up to 10-12 kgs.  I have a couple of questions:

1. Can I use floating shelves for this? If so, could I use Ikea shelves on dry walls and do I need to attach them to the studs or can I attach them to the dry wall using an anchor or dry wall screw?

2. If you suggest that a bracket would be better, what dry wall anchors or screws would be best? 

3. Are there any other things I need to take into consideration?

Thanks for your time and help.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What are the best dry wall anchors or screws?

Hi @AmandaV,

It's always best to install shelving directly into the timber stud work. If you do, you'll be able to use the shelving to its maximum load rating. When connecting shelving to plasterboard, it should only be used for lightweight materials, as the fixings now govern the maximum capacity. For instance, if you were to use Ramset Nylon WallMate Plasterboard Anchors, which are suitable for up to 10kg, they would hold your required weight, but if you were to press down on that shelf accidentally, the fixings would likely fail and cause the shelf to fall down.

I'd recommend using floating shelves for ornaments and lightweight items. For functional shelving, it's best to go with brackets fixed into studs. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to use a stud finder.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @AmandaV,

In addition to Mitch's helpful advice, you might also find this guide helpful for situations like this in future: How to hang just about anything.

Let us know how you go.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AmandaV
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell- brackets it is then!

AmandaV
Growing in Experience

Thanks Jason - and thanks for the guide suggestion. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects