Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What do we need to fix peeling paint on ceiling?

antheaol
Just Starting Out

What do we need to fix peeling paint on ceiling?

our ceiling is peeling.  We have checked, it is not moisture.  We have had 3 painters come and quote but we will need to do this ourself.  They all mentioned “sealing”.

what products will we need (apart from the standard brushes and ceiling paint).  Any advice for the DIY would be greatly appreciated.image.jpg

image.jpg

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Re: ceiling paint

gyprock bog for once you flake all that paint off  - your going to have to level the surface again with bog.

Id suggest once you bog and sand it flat - hold off on painting for a full day - check your work under different lighting conditions to be sure it still looks flat (eg still looks flat with a light on at night)  I thought my ceiling was nice and flat once and painted immediatly - then found out it wasnt too flat once night time hit and night lights went on lol. Paints alot harder to sand back to rebog lol.

Im not sure what you would need sealant for unless moisture is coming though?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What do we need to fix peeling paint on ceiling?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @antheaol. It's good to have you join us.

I'm pleased to see @Prawns gave you a very prompt and helpful reply. Let me also tag @Peggers to see if he might like to share his thoughts with you. @MitchellMc will also be able to assist when he returns on Friday. 

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. ​​​​We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our amazing community members.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Peggers
Becoming a Leader

@antheaol it doesn't look too bad to fix, although it depends whether there's some underlying cause for that flaking. I agree with @Prawns though, if there isn't moisture, then I'm surprised that it needs a sealant. I also agree that filling and sanding will be needed, and check everything is smooth and flat before you paint again. I tend to start painting jobs with the British Paints Prep 4-in-1 anyway, it's an oil-based undercoat which takes slightly longer to dry, but it primes, seals and blocks stains as well as undercoating anyway. Gives a great base to paint over with your topcoats.

Good luck - be interested to see how it turns out.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @antheaol,

It's fantastic to see you've already received some expert advice from our members. I'd second everything that has been mentioned especially @Peggers suggestion of using British Paints Prep 4-in-1

The first thing to do is get yourself some good quality scrapers like the QEP 12" Floor and Wall Scraper and QEP 8" Extend Floor And Wall Scraper, they'll make your life so much easier. You really want to remove all the loose and flakey paint until you get right back into solid material.

Once you have removed the existing paint, you should find this step-by-step guide useful: How To Paint A Ceiling.

I'd be interested to see what the ceiling looks like after you have started to remove the paint. Please keep us updated and reach out if you have any questions.

Mitchell

RosieMc
Just Starting Out

I have a similar problem, and google has directed me to this wonderful group today, so thank you for taking the time to reply. My bathroom ceiling looks more crackled than peeling, but I am assuming the repair would be the same.

Can you please tell me why I should check that the ceiling is flat? I’d have thought the gyprock? (i.e. under the paint) would be flat and scraping the paint from it shouldn’t damage the surface?

And what is ‘gyprock bog’, please?

Thank you

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What do we need to fix peeling paint on ceiling?

Hello @RosieMc

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting your ceiling.

As time passes the Gyprock becomes warped due to movement or moisture damage. You get long shallow waves in the structure of the Gyprock, it will sometimes cast a shadow when you have your ceiling light on. But if you don't see any shadows or dips then your Gyprock is fine.

"Gyprock Bog" also known as Gyprock CSR 2.25kg Less Mess Multi-Purpose Joint Compound. It's basically used to fill in gaps, damages, and shallow parts of your ceiling.

My number one recommendation to make cleaning easier is to wrap and cover everything in Paint Partner 2.6 x 3.6m Clear Plastic Drop Sheet in conjunction with Bear 24mm x 50m Interior Decorator Masking Tape. Anything not covered or taped up will be exposed to the chipped paint and dust you'll be generating once you start working on your ceiling.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your repainting project.

If you have any other questions regarding this project, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects