Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What do you love most about your house?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Workshop members have been recently sharing things that annoy them about their house.

Now it's time to focus on the positives.

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: What do you love most about your house?

We love our whole home, we built in '75 when prices were skyrocketing, so we had to be careful. Before we took the plunge, I did what's being done here, I asked as many people as I could what they loved about their home, or what would they'd change if they built again.
Mum & Dad were very conservative, & good advice was to keep the building/roofline/floorplan simple to save on cost & mantenance. So we went with rectangular. Keep the interior neutral coloured, & dress up with accessories was Mum's suggestion, & she mentioned that passageway carpets are the first to wear out first. As luck would have it, tiled entrances were the go, so we took the radical move of extended it down the passageway too. Virtually constant temperature year round.
High on the list of other pluses, was north facing windows, which we were able to accomodate & it's glorious in winter.
Someone else said if there's something that you'd like, but it's awkward with the budget, do it, it will cost much more to replace your compromise feature later.
A workmate lived in the hills, & he dreaded his raked ceilings, all the heat stayed overhead, & another gripe was that their brick feature wall was a dust collector.
We decided on a build, but made it smaller, & modernised the exterior to our liking.
What rounds it all off, is that we use every room, & anyone new to our home feels comfortable & relaxed.
The only thing we'd change, is fit a cavity door to the en-suite, they didn't exist back then, & it's only a very minor thing, so we haven't bothered.
Janina_G
Having an Impact

I love everything,

The fact that it was built in the 40's and comes with and awesome warmth.

The view of my tellie tubby hills while having breakfast

The high ceilings and 40's sorta latice effect

The cellar

That the front and back door are opposite so I get a brilliant cool breeze when warm

The roof to sit on and view all around me

That it sit near the top of 3/4 of acre and I have a part garden in front, and different levels on land

The wood cooker in kitchen and the ancient wood heater in lounge

But most of all the solid hardwood structure that holds it up,  will outlast me and my grandhcildren.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

I love having an open kitchen and entertaining area for when friends and family visit.

It's more my location at the moment..High up overlooking the River Murray..
Further down the track it will be my Home Cinema that's currently being built..

Just stumbled across this old discussion @ProjectPete. What do you love most about your new house?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

After a day thinking about it, bakerlight switches that have remained are my highlight beating out the ceramic taps.

Although todays job was changing a tap washer because DIY is beyond some people.

Hard to pick any one thing TBH.

-  I love the style: raw, industrial feel. Lots of timber, polished concrete floors, blacks/whites/greys.

- Our pool area!

- Cacti/succulent features.

- Freestanding bath.

Overall I've out a huge amount of work into doing all this work so I'm pretty connected to it all haha.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects