Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What inspires you to pick up a DIY project?

BandofSaws
Getting Established

What inspires you to pick up a DIY project?

Hi DIYers

Curious what inspires you personally to pick up a new job / project?

I vary from talking to friends / seeing what they've done, watching videos online, seeing ads or seeing social media posts.

Let me know what inspires you

Cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What inspires you to pick up a DIY project

What a fantastic discussion topic, @BandofSaws. I'll be keen to hear our member's thoughts.

For me, D.I.Y. projects fall into one of two categories. Those I need to do and those I want to do. 

The need to do's are typically jobs I've put off for whatever reason and, at their offset, don't often exhibit any significant quality of life benefits. An example would be some cabinetry that was in lousy shape six years ago. The catalyst for finally repairing it was that it now had protruding nails, and it was dangerous to my children, so I fixed it over my weekend. So, there was a need and a reason for dedicating the time to it. This left me with a sense of achievement at the end of the job, spurring me to complete more similar tasks. Next, I installed a baby gate, replaced some flyscreens and painted the kitchen walls. All jobs that should have been done some time ago.

On the other hand, there are those want to do projects. These are the ones where I know I'm going to enjoy them, and I'll get immense satisfaction from completing them. The reward is always very obvious and, in some cases, relatively self-centred. They are often not needed for the home's functionality but will bring personal satisfaction.

I try to distribute my time between the two evenly. Before having children, my time spent D.I.Y.ing was almost solely dedicated to what I wanted to do, but I've found that the lines between what I want to do and what I need to aren't nearly as clearly defined as what they once were.

Likely not exactly what you were after, but in regards to your question, social media plays a big part. We are constantly being exposed to a plethora of unique and inspiring projects, and quite frankly, I just want to build them all.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: What inspires you to pick up a DIY project?

Mainly necessity and savings. Where I live it is near impossible to get a tradie when you need one and often I cant afford the cost. Eg I recently built an art studio for my wife and we wanted it to look like it was part of the original build. The best quote I could get was 50K to lockup 70 plus to finish. I managed to do it for around 30k finished and fitted out. The way I look at it thats 40K I didnt have  and I still managed to create a great new space. Often I will design and make things outside the box to solve a need as a challenge. For me I think it is a mindset that I was taught as a youngster why pay someone to do something for you unless they can do it better. At 12 I built my sister a cradle for her doll for Christmas from scratch and then spent Christmas building  a shearing shed with my Dad. JDE

AnitaP
Having an Impact

Re: What inspires you to pick up a DIY project?

This one is so simple for me......I'm a tight a** 🤣 so if I think I can make it or fix it, I will.

Thanks for your reply Mitchell - definitely understand that distinction between the need to do and want to do jobs.

I found that in my early days of DIY it was mainly my want to do jobs, which built my skills and experience (and tools) which then led me to more confidently approach bigger 'need' jobs.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @BandofSaws

My grandfather inspired me to take up D.I.Y. and I'm hoping to pass on these skills to my boys. If possible I would rather build it than buy it.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects