Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best concrete sealer that is waterproof and heat proof?

ag_82
Finding My Feet

What is the best concrete sealer that is waterproof and heat proof?

6C17B12B-F76B-4D71-9164-3AC2868C4A4D.jpeg

631926DD-56F9-438C-90C2-6E6F70D93C9D.jpeg

 Hi there,

I was wondering if you can help and give me a recommendation for the best type of sealer to use on my homemade concrete projects (mainly planters, trays, candle holders) that are waterproof, heat resistant and maybe food grade (if there’s such a thing). Also, does concrete sealers come in different finishes - clear, matte, glossy, and satin?

Im just a bit overwhelmed with the options and don’t really know which one is the best to use. 

Please refer to attached photos - I will be using the sealer on these projects.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the best concrete sealer that is waterproof and heat proof?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ag_82. It's wonderful that you've joined us and many thanks for your questions about concrete sealer.

Fantastic project you've got going on there. I trust our members @Claudine, @hannah and @JI might be interested in joining the conversation or have some suggestions on suitable sealants.

For your pots, you can use Crommelin 750ml Ornamental Sealer (slightly glossy) which is highly water repellant or Crommelin 1L Natural Finish Sealer (Matt finish) which is water repellant. 

For anything indoors, Crommelin 1L DiamondCoat Stone Shield (Natural / low-sheen) would be a great option. This product is highly durable and suitable for concrete benchtops, so sounds like it would fulfil your requirements. It's also heat resistant and food safe.

When you mention that you need something that is waterproof, does it need to hold water or just prevent it from penetrating the coating? All the above will prevent water penetration, but if you wanted to make something like a vase that permanently holds water, you might be better off with Crommelin 1L Clear Pond Sealer.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Claudine
Getting Established

Hi @ag_82 

I've been working on concrete planters for the last couple of weeks and I've started using the Bondall Pot and Ornament Sealer.

This sealer is specifically for pots to seal, bind, protect and waterproof. I can confirm it does not leave any stains and leaves the planters in its original condition after relief from the mould. 

I am yet to test it at full capacity as everything is still in the drying process. I know that you can buy food grade sealers but as to where I am not too sure. 

I hope this helps in some way! Good luck!

Claudine

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions! Will surely look at them when I go to Bunnings.

In regards to your question, I will be using it mainly for planters and maybe as a candle holder. Hence why I am looking for a sealer that can possible cater to both being waterproof and heat-proof. 

Thank you for the suggestion, Claudine! I really appreciate it. I did see the bondal pot and ornament sealer but I’m looking for something more economical because I’ll be using it a lot and the downside to the bondal pot and ornament sealer is,  it only comes in a spray bottle. I make a lot of cement ornaments so I definitely would need more than 750ml. But I wonder if they sell it in bigger amounts. 

thank you again!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@ag_82,

If you speak to a helpful team member at your local store's Special Orders desk, they should be able to get you the Two-litre bottle of Bondall Pot & Ornament sealer.

Mitchell

Hi, would it be Crommelin Stone Shield safe to use as a sealer for candle jar to burn candle wax in?  will it be safe at the higher temperature created by burning candle wax?

Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @LizaHof. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing a candle jar.

If this is a cement jar and you were applying the Crommelin Stone Shield to the exterior surface, that shouldn't be an issue. However, this is an acrylic product, which you could think of as a layer of plastic, so it can't be exposed to a direct flame or be in such proximity that it experiences high temperatures. It wouldn't be suitable for the inside of the jar.

Perhaps you might like to share some images of the jar and provide a little more information on the exact location of where you'll need to apply the sealer. Let me know fi you need a hand uploading images.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects