Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is this ceiling material?

hamish71
Finding My Feet

What is this ceiling material?

House was built late 70's. I don't think it is the spray on popcorn that had asbestos in it.

image (3).jpgimage (4).jpgimage (5).jpg

image (9).jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What is this ceiling material?

Hi @hamish71,

Congrats on the new house purchase and thanks for sharing some photos. Are you planning a renovation? Do you like the exposed beams? I would imagine that if you don't like the ceilings or the exposed beams it would be a relatively easy job just to plasterboard over the top. You obviously would lose some ceiling height but it seems you have wonderful high ceilings.

Please let us know a little more about your plans and I'm sure the wonderful Workshop community will be happy to help and share their thoughts.

Welcome to the community. We're sure you will get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Early days, still considering my options. There has been (may still be) considerable water leaks that have damaged the timber under whatever that ceiling coating is. Need to focus on roof, and thus need to have some idea of what it might look like. Plaster to the exposed beams would be the easy way out, would allow for additional wiring (lights/fans etc). I would like to keep the height though. I do like the idea of plywood with negative features.  

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks, but no. I will put a better picture of it up tomorrow. It is very textured. Much more textured than "popcorn" ceiling paint. Its almost like pebbles.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects