Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What picture hangers are suitable for fibro walls?

Jubes
Just Starting Out

What picture hangers are suitable for fibro walls?

I would like to hang some artwork around my home but most of the internal walls are fibro as my house was built in the 1970’s.

Also there is a cavity sliding door between two walls and i hope to hang a picture that weighs about 1 kg on each side.

What sort of hangers should I use and how do I install them. Do drill a little hole fist?  Should I apply some sort of tape before drilling? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jubes_1-1636080791663.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: PICTURE HANGERS SUITABLE FOR FIBRO INTERNAL WALLS

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jubes. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about hanging pictures.

For a cement fibro internal wall, you'll either need to find a stud to use an Everhang 8kg Brass Plated Picture Hook in or use a hollow wall anchor. If there is no conveniently located stud, then spring and gravity toggles can be used. Generally, there should be enough room to mount a hollow wall anchor where a sliding cavity door is located. You might want to check first how thick the door is and how wide the cavity is. If it's a particular thin partition wall, then there is a chance that the toggles will contact the door, especially if they are coming in from both sides. Before you start drilling holes into walls, I just wanted to verify that you've had the wall tested, and it's not asbestos? I use a standard timber or metal drillbit on my fibro walls. Taping the area will assist in preventing excessive damage to the paintwork.

Alternatively, if you clean the wall well, you can use the Command™ Large Metal Adhesive Universal Picture Hanger. Their rating is 2.2kg, so they should cope well with your 1kg picture. I'd certainly recommend this option if you don't know what the wall is made of. It also could just be a simpler solution than worrying about whether the door will hit the toggles.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Joe1981
Just Starting Out

Re: What picture hangers are suitable for fibro walls?

Hi, 

I would recommend getting the wall tested for Asbestos before drilling etc. If the house was built in the 70's it's more than likely to be ASBESTOS.

Regards Joe 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What picture hangers are suitable for fibro walls?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Joe1981. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

It sounds like you've got a great deal of experience with asbestos walls, and I trust our members appreciate the reminder to have their walls checked for asbestos if their house was built in the 70s. Especially if they are planning to drill into the walls. 

Reach out anytime you need assistance with a project around the house or garden, as our helpful and knowledgeable members are always willing to lend a hand.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects