Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What project do you want to tackle next?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

What project do you want to tackle next?

Many people have long lists of projects they would love to tackle around the house and garden.

We'd love to hear from you about the one project you want to get stuck into next. 

Let us know by replying below.

I'm sure the rest of the Workshop community will be more than happy to give you some advice and help along the way. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: What project do you want to tackle next?

Hi @Hansi I'd have a few reservations...
- fence palings are treated but they can bow, buckle, split & shrink.
- due to their length, most stores will only carry 1800mm lengths, it'll be challenging to keep a level on each layer as you progress.

- if your place is a 50’s fibro then there is a 99.9% chance that it’s clad with bonded asbestos fibro. This shouldn’t be disturbed & this includes nailing into it as it’s very brittle and can easily release asbestos fibres.

Is the surface sound? By that I mean reasonably crack-free etc.
Maybe consider some of the texture paints instead. They can give you a really nice long-lasting finish.
More expensive per square metre than palings but much safer & probably longer lasting.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=textured%20paint

Also… some very good information on asbestos from this link. A must-have download for any DIY’ers & home-owners.
http://www.health.gov.au/internet/publications/publishing.nsf/Content/asbestos-toc

Given we're building a new house we've cut back on our reno ppans for current house but will be getting a few bits and pieces done to spruik ut up a bit for sale. Started with a new kitchen splashback on the wknd...
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
raymao268
Cultivating a Following

Hi There

I am new here, and want to learn from everyone. 

I'm currently working on an outdoor kitchen project. So far, I have done the overall design, pergara build, plumbing work, kitchen cupboard building is in progress with cupboard maker, and have started to build the support structure for the decking floor. The issue I am facing is the low profile decking support, the lowest point is only 90mm from top of the existing paver to top of the joist. Will share the progress with you all soon.  

Hi @raymao268,

Many thanks for joining in the discussion and introducing yourself. It's wonderful to have you as part of the Workshop community. I'm sure you will find plenty of inspiration and advice from other members for this project and many others in future. 

I would encourage you to hit the Start a discussion button and post in the Outdoor Living board about your outdoor kitchen project. It sounds fantastic. Hopefully you'll be able to share some progress photos with us as well as getting a hand with the decking support issue. 

Please let me know if you need any help getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
raymao268
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Jason.

Hansi
Cultivating a Following

Hi Adam

Many thanks for your detailed response. Yes, the more I think about it the more I am leaning towards painting the house. We had an asbestos inspection carried out before buying the house and they confirmed that the external walls are all 90% fibro & 10% asbestos. We were very naive when we bought the house as the previous owners left many large, potted plants standing along the back of the house, to be picked up later. When they were finally removed (long after signing on the dotted line) we discovered all the holes and broken pieces that you can see in the photos! Our own fault for being too trusting I guess! Anyway, that is an interesting point about nailing into the fibro, it's possible that I can use liquid nails and some modern, asbestos free fibro board to repair some things, but other repairs are not so easy, for example, where the gas pipe has snapped and pulled away the strip protecting the join, or where there are uneven and jagged breaks or splits. What would be the best solution there? Also, some screws holding the rainwater downpipes have pulled out and left holes, etc. 

My latest plan had been to repair the holes and cracks where possible and paint the house but, at the back of the house, which, by the way, is now undercover, I was thinking of cladding that part of the house to cover up all these holes and cracks and, as it's our patio area which, as I said is undercover, I thought the cladding would make a feature of the back wall. Now that you have mentioned the danger of nailing into the fibro I'm having second thoughts! What if I use liquid nails on the back of each pailing and use a nail gun, do you think that might help contain any possible dust? Wearing a mask as well, of course! Cheers, John

IMG_4333.jpgIMG_4334.jpgIMG_4335.jpgIMG_4337.jpg

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Some interesting drainage ( or lack of ) in those photos.
Esther48
Finding My Feet

I want to establish a native verge garden to cope with W.A's summer heat.

How do i prepare the soil given that it has couch grass on it at the moment

Esther.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

@Esther48I think there are a few ways people deal with couch.

Digging -  have to get under the roots and remove all the plant, repeat as necessary. It is hard work though. Some people replace the soil as well.

Poison - Roundup is the usual suspect, will need to repeat on stubborn parts and it is not the eco soloution.

Mulch - newspapper works as does cardboard and weed mat. Takes about a year.

Heat - heat gun or LPG burner and repeat the treatment whenever it pokes it's head up again.

Some other things people do but not so suitable for a verge is letting chooks eat it and smother planting with potatoes.

My local Council was nice enough to poison my verge, I need to spot burn  some areas before I start planting ground covers and putting in the plan for their approval along with the dial before you dig report. I have a drill powered bulb planter which is about the same size hole as the pots of ground cover I am collecting.

Personally I'd go for the good old dig @Esther48 but like @Brad said, it's hard work. In fact I might be digging up the side of my driveway this weekend to get some new plants in but I'e hurt my neck a bit so might take it easy (has a tendency to flare up). It's worth considering hiring a Bobcat or at the very least a Dingo - depending on the size of the area and the amount of time/effort you want to put into it.

I'd back that up weedmat before establishing the new garden.

Poison works well but I try to avoid due to the enviro impact...

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects