Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What room in your house most needs decluttering?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

What room in your house most needs decluttering?

Spring is the season for decluttering the house for many people. 

Independent research commissioned by Bunnings has found 50 per cent of Australians undertake spring cleaning annually. It also found their bedroom was the room that the majority of people said was in the most need of attention. 

At my place, I would nominate the storage room under the house that is most in need of a good clean out. It's currently hard to navigate. 

What room in your house most needs decluttering and how to you plan to tackle it?

And when it comes to trying to decide what you keep and what to let go, do you subscribe to the Marie Kondo philosophy of trying to only hold onto items that "spark joy"? 

Let us know by replying below. 

Storage cubed A - Article.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What room in your house most needs decluttering?

I might tag @prettyliving to kick off the discussion. When you reply Jess, feel free to tag someone who you would like to hear from on this topic!

What room in your house most needs decluttering and how to you plan to tackle it?

Jason

prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Thanks for the tag Jason @Jason 

I love a good spring clean, I’m actually in the process of doing one at the moment as we have verge collection coming up so it’s the perfect time for it.

I find our garage and study are the two rooms that become cluttered the quickest as we use them both for storage. I use to have a bad habit of keeping things for years thinking that I might be able to use them for a project one day, or maybe one day I’ll need it, but now I’ve made a rule for myself - if it hasn’t been used in the last 6 months- 1 year than I get rid of it. Same goes with clothes, shoes & the kids toys.

I’d be interested to hear Taras @Tara86 tips on decluttering as she seems to be big on organisation. 😊

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good nomination @prettyliving. I'm also keen to hear from Tara on this topic.

Let me also tag @Old-gal24@aly and @Aussie-Garden to see if they might like to join in.

Jason

aly
Making a Splash

Oh boy, where to start @Jason ! Our entire house needs a good spring clean! We did a good clean of the sheds a few weeks back after my husband put together some large, sturdy shelves. That meant that the spare room became less cluttered as it had random bits and bobs that could be kept outside. Now we're considering renovating the laundry which will give us far more cabinetry and storage which in turn will clean out the study and living room that stores random items that they shouldn't. Definitely one of those instances where you clean one thing to free up another and it just rolls on from there!

G'day everyone.

Well until last weekend, it would have been one of our walk in robes. I kind of let things get out of hand with random stuff of mine.

My wife decided that it was time for a spring clean and pulled everything out and we went through what to keep, what to donate, what doesn't fit and relocated the... "why is this even in here?" stuff.

She bought a bunch of storage tubs from Bunnings a while ago and now the upper shelving in there has labeled tubs and we don't have to step over things now.

I'm a hoarder and this drives her nuts as I have stuff that hasn't been touched in a long time, but I might need it one day.

The walk in pantry will be next.  My wife only did it a few months ago, but she loves, loves, loves reorganising and decluttering things.

@Aussie-Garden,

From a fellow hoarder, I can completely relate to keeping things that might be needed one day. The only issue is that my wife is also a hoarder and that really is a terrible combination. It's good to hear you got the walk-in robes under control. We've recently started transferring our stored items from cardboard boxes into plastic storage containers. We've found the Award 50L Black Storage Container With Lid And Wheels to be good value for money. I believe now we've purchased at least 15 of them.

Mitchell

Thank you for thinking of me @Jason  but don't think I'm a very good person to be asking, more so just now.  I am slowly working through the rooms of a house I purchased and renoing each room as I get to it.  So I still haven't unpacked.  I have far too much stuff that I will be culling as I get each room unpacked.  @prettyliving  has a good point about getting rid of items unused for 6-12months.   I would have to say my own room, craft room and workshop/shed are the biggest on my list in need of a good cull, but till I finish my reno jobs I'm not getting rid of too much as I may still need things. I have started on the shed/workshop as it makes it so much easier to find things if they have their own place.  I've made a few work benches out of old solid doors and have shelves underneath that I have big tubs with labels to help find things.  I kept empty wine case boxes for over a year and cut one side out of them and painted them all the same colour put labels on them and put them onto a book shelf and keep things handy.  The top of the cask where the handle is, then faces forward so it's easier to grab.  I also have them in the house in draws for socks and nick knacks, as they can be cut to fit each draw.  Those ones I've covered in contact paper and scrap birthday paper.

I also have council street clearence each year and I've already got rid of a few things and plan to do the same when I catch up with my reno jobs, but I keep a box trailer with a high cage in beside my garage and put bigger rubbish in it and take to the local tip when full.  :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects