Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What's the best D.I.Y. advice you've ever received?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

What's the best D.I.Y. advice you've ever received?

Hi everyone,

Whether it's a cherished lesson passed on from one generation to the next, a throwaway line from a mate, or something you've personally learned the hard way, please share your favourite D.I.Y. tips in the discussion below.

What is the best D.I.Y advice you've ever received?

Jason

Man-With-Tools.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: What's the best D.I.Y. advice you've ever received?

Can't argue with that advice @ayahchristensen

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading about your projects and plans. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house and garden or have something to share. 

Jason

OldBill
Finding My Feet

Three things for any project:

1.  Plan!  (There's an old army thing: the 7Ps principal - proper planning and preparation prevents poor performance - applies to most things!)

2.  Use the correct tool. (...it's a joy to do a difficult job using the tool designed for it.  I always think that I'm saving myself money doing the job myself anyway, so get the proper tool!)

3.  Know your limitations.  (If you are a DIY person, you're not a professional!  And there's got to be an element of fun and sense of achievement doing something yourself.  But be prepared to call in someone to a. ...give you advice, or b. ...when the enormity or complexity of the job dawns on you!)

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @OldBill 

Some very sound advice which even after many years of D.I.Y. projects I need to constantly remind myself about. 

We're really excited to have you join us and trust you'll receive plenty of inspiration for your own projects here as well. Please remember to hit that "Start a discussion" button anytime you have something to share or need assistance from the Community.

Mitchell

Squeaky doors and drawers. Using a dry cake of soap rubbed along touching parts, works really well for this, and no mess to clean up.  Also for drawers that screech and grind wood on wood, use the dry soap along the touching parts.  Years of squeak free usage. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @CasaDelLouise. It's fantastic to see you make your first post and many thanks for contributing to the conversation.

That's a fantastic tip which I'll be using around my own home as I have a few squeaky doors that could work on. With an 18-month-old daughter, I'm like a ninja when she is sleeping but these pesky squeaking doors keep waking her at inappropriate times.

We look forward to hearing about the projects you have going on around your home and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or would like to share them with the community. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration for you projects from our creative members as they are contributing their knowledge and amazing ideas here all the time.

Mitchell

Smithrj
Building a Reputation

Hi Jason, freezer bags also work well. Put the brush in, twist the bag around the handle to keep airtight, and the brush will stay workable for at least a few days.

@MitchellMc 

I don't believe you have shared the best advice you've ever received?

Spill the beans please! 

Then you can tag someone who you would like to hear from. :smile:

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for the tag @Jason.

The best D.I.Y. advice I have ever received is not to let mistakes or more-so the fear of them hold you back.

I've hit countless roadblocks whilst building D.I.Y. projects in my life. Many times after assessing my progress, I've realised that I completely failed at achieving what I set out to do. Therefore, I rarely work to a plan as it affords me too many opportunities to give up as I've run into an issue, and the end goal is no longer achievable. Resisting the urge to give up, pushing through this doubt and working with your mistakes leads to some truly inspirational projects. 

As the great Bob Ross would say, "We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents."

I'd like to tag in @TedBear. Hopefully, we can keep this chain of tagging in another member going.

Mitchell

Thanks for the tag @MitchellMc 

My best advice is along similar lines to yours... always start a project with the belief that you can do it... you just need to find out how.

Maybe that really means...  always do some research before starting!

In practice, the act of finding out how, sometimes leads me to the conclusion that:  hiring a professional for this one is the best 'how'.

I also find out how along the way, with many of my finished projects being most accurately described as a series of repairs joined together.

But that (within reason) is the joy of DIY. - I have learned how to do things that I would never have even tackled if I had known in advance the pathways I was about to go down. So each project provides the "tools" for the next one, but that requires patience. You learn to advance with caution  (Is that what Bob Ross meant by 'happy little accidents"?)

I am going to tag @JDE  to see what more we can learn.

TedBear.

Especially good if you have pets. They won't go near it & even if they did lick it, it's not going to do harm. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects