Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What timber for a storage box / seat (toy box style)

MichelleBeasy
Finding My Feet

What timber for a storage box / seat (toy box style)

Hi guys, I need help as to what Wood I’d need to buy To make a seat / storage  box Out of which is light weight but will Be able to have someone sit on it?

Ill be using it as a seat for my desk, and to store stuff in. 

dimensions I’m looking at is:

height 50mm 

Width 30mm

length 60mm

Also what material could I use to cushion the seat part??

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What timber for a storage box / seat (ottoman like)

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MichelleBeasy. We're so pleased you could join us. We have clever and creative members sharing helpful advice and inspiring projects on the site every day, so we're sure you'll get plenty of help for all your projects around the home and garden.

Do you have a plan or some photos that you are working off for your storage box project that you could show the community? It might help them get a clearer picture of what you want to build. If you could also please confirm that this is indoor furniture - that the timber won't be exposed to the elements?

You might be interested in these projects shared by Workshop members:

We are looking forward to seeing your project come together.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

BB57E699-27E3-4874-B6E9-AE004AF15D6F.jpeg

So far these are my ideas. The storage box / seat will be used inside only as a desk chair

Hi @MichelleBeasy,

I'd also like to welcome you to the Bunnings Workshop community.

I can suggest using 600 x 18mm x 1.2m Pine Utility Panel for the front, back and lid. You can use 300 x 18mm x 1.2m Pine Utility Panel for the sides and base. As these boards are already the correct width for your project you'll only need to cut them to the correct lengths.

You could consider creating the storage box out of plywood and you'd be able to use our cut to size service instore to get the correct panel dimensions.

We have a fantastic range of cushions available which you might like to use with your project.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

That’s fantastic, thanks Mitchell

Am I able to paint the pine ultilty panels??

i was hooding to use a black metallic spray paint if you could advise what one I could use please?

ill upload the finished product when it’s completed.

Hi @MichelleBeasy,

You certainly are able to paint the utility panels. I would recommend a coat of Dulux 1 Step Prep Multi-Surface Undercoat 500ml and then a topcoat of Dulux Aquanamel in your desired colour. Aquanamel is great as it is hardwearing but also cleans up with water.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects