Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Where should I locate ceiling vents in rooms

Seaton
Having an Impact

Where should I locate ceiling vents in rooms

As a bit of background, we don't have any air-conditioning in our current house,  but as its an old house (+80 years old) has high ceilings, in summer the house gets very hot, no insulated sarking under roof tin, however there is insulation in the roof space although it looks like its been done poorly and needs replacing.  I've been holding back until I renovate the remaining rooms as all the old lath and plaster on ceilings and walls will all be removed. 

So over the weekend I finally got around to installing a couple of whirlybirds on the roof to vent the ceiling space and hopefully make things a bit more comfortable  or at least bearable this summer (also put one in the shed) 

Installation was all straight forward and now I also want to install some adjustable ceiling vents in some rooms to help vent the hot air in summer and that I can close in winter.  e.g. bedrooms and living areas.  These will vent into the ceiling space, where the whirly birds will be pulling the air through.

Is there any particular location on the ceiling they should go, i.e. close to the outside wall / windows or should it be close to an internal wall, or just in the middle of the room?  As mentioned the old ceilings will be pulled down so is only temporary (at least for a couple of years anyway)

cheers,

Stephen

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Where should I locate ceiling vents in rooms

Hi Stephen (@Seaton),

I've contacted Haron, one of our ceiling vent suppliers, and they have advised that the location of the vent is a personal preference. They have advised the location will be largely dictated by the timber structure above and finding a suitable place to insert the vent. In a perfect scenario, a central location in the room would be best, though it is not a necessity.

Please let me know if you need further help or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Where should I locate ceiling vents in rooms

Thanks @MitchellMc  that was very helpful.  

I thought this might be the case as I didn't have any luck in finding any information online, hence my post here.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects