Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Whole home low budget slow refresh

BoeingFan
Becoming a Leader

Whole home low budget slow refresh

Home Sweet Home!Home Sweet Home!So I'm about to take on a little cottage in the middle of nowhere to be near family, and I'm beside myself with excitement about all the stuff we can do to freshen her up. I've never done any reno stuff before, but a lick of paint is always a great place to start. Bunnings, here I come!

P.S. I'm still trying to work out how to add an image to this post!

Re: Whole home low budget slow refresh

Hey @BoeingFan ,

those "gaps" are where you can grind or hacksaw to reduce the length of the screw, so you can fit different thicknesses of doors.

Be very careful though, last time i did this, I measured from the wrong end and made 8 screws too short.😂

@WalterThank you so much, I'm glad that I was on the right page, and that I can still fit this item to my door. Very grateful for the quick follow up and the hard earned advice 😂

Cheers,

Jason

Hi @BoeingFan 

The segments in the  screw are  easy first lets solve your snake situation.

That live  frog of yours Mr painted Gray is why they coming over to your place  for tea and frogs legs.

So I have thought of a plan where you buy 2 dozen cement frogs and place then around your yard as decoys one snake bite of the  cement decoys and its a trip to the dentist for the snake. Or  rubber frogs lets see them chew on them for a while lol

Oh  yes those bare segments on the screw thread are built in weak points placed there to allow you to more easily break of unneeded segments to allow you to shorten the screws to match your door thickness.

Not all that screw will fit/Screw inside handle depending on door thickness so  excess segments need to be broken off or the handle will be loose on the door.

Place  screw besides door thickness  I am estimating one or two sections of the screw will be needed to screw into handle so if more than 2 sections are sitting proud you need to break them off. 

DOOR THICKNESS + 2 Section - Excess sections =   Correct  screw length. 

Hold and flex at built in weak spotHold and flex at built in weak spot

No cutting or grinding needed this method when  I was installing kitchen upgrade as grinder another  weighty bit to lug onsite.

If you need to remove one or more sections grab the screw on top of the thread you want to keep .or vice or Multigrips or vice grips holding the screw thread you want to keep  along the screw from the screw head end with the sacraficial thead sections pointing outwards.  Now  simultaneously grab in a firm grip the sacraficial segments with  pliers etc  2mm away  from other pliers etc and gentally flex screw back and forwards it will snap  quickly. I have even used a adjustable  spanner over the line of the screw axis tightened up firmly and flexed screw to snap it.

Any one else have there favourite methods of breaking these of please advise as my method not super efficient.

No need to debur  the screw. insert   screw through door and into handle and tighten and repeat.

Oh you wouldnt be the first person to break of wrong segments IE  too Short.  Not near a  hardware store I have in a pinch  used an ordinary wood or plaster board screw into the handle the screw will cut a new  thread into handle as they start tapered and will be solid. You only want about 10mm of thread to go into handle so adjust your screw  length accordingly. 

If for some reason you get spares of this screw in pkt keep them in your golden  spare parts draw in case of future handle jobs and wrong cut screws occur.

All that  description for one  little screw. LOL  Lucky your not building a nuclear power cell yet.

Thank you so much @Jewelleryrescue I did exactly this and it worked a treat. I love your artwork, it's an original! 😁 As for the snake repellent, well I thought instead of frogs I could install some gargoyles 😂 I have no idea where you buy those these days though (try saying that inebriated).

BoeingFan
Becoming a Leader

Re: Western and Southern Facing Walls

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd share a progress update on the painting; I've finished the walls on the southern and western sides sans the doors, window trims, and I've removed the window shades on the western side as they were starting to rot. I'm very happy with the colours, and the Dulux paint is great to put on. I'll add some more pics on other progress soon.

Cheers,

Jason

Western WallWestern WallSouthern WallSouthern Wall

Amazing work @BoeingFan! I trust you're really impressed with your efforts. The colour you've chosen looks fantastic.

Many thanks for sharing your update. What are you going to tackle next?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc I appreciate your kind words.

I am happy with how it's coming along so far, particularly as I've never painted a house before. Luckily Dad had ladders and expertise to share, so the first coat is well under way. Before the bathroom and septic system are installed (both major works by builders and plumbers) I'll do the first coat on all the doors, windows, railings, trims and gutters.

Next are the bathroom and septic system are installations, the roof will be replaced, and I am going to get insulation put in also. In fact, I was curious about the Earthwool for the heating and cooling properties, but also the sound dampening aspect. @MitchellMc have you had any experience with it? After that, I guess a small renovation to the kitchen so that a dishwasher can be installed, and an induction cooktop.

By the way, if you are able to give any feedback to the powers that be, let them know that an upgrade to the Grafton Bunnings would be appreciated; there's a number of things that I've tried to source however the staff have told me that their store don't stock it as they're only a 'baby' store. I suggested to them to put another level on top like the one at Kingsgrove, it's a cracker!

Cheers,

Jason

BoeingFan
Becoming a Leader

Re: North Facing Wall

Good morning all,

So I've almost finished painting the northern facing wall, I did the section in the photo on Sunday, but ran out of the dark grey (Dulux Grid) for the trim. I'll get some more paint on the next trip to town. Window and door frames and trims are next.

69474452047__AD20BE8E-31F4-4ABC-B968-F833ED18F7EB.fullsizerender.JPG

Earthwool is not only an excellent insulator but has great acoustic performance @BoeingFan. Make sure to select the blue bags, which are the Soundshield variety. I trust you'll find it's a great choice for your project.

I'll pass your feedback about Bunnings Grafton onto the powers that be. 👍

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @BoeingFan 

I recon your Dad  a top bloke just  by the way you working together.

I am sorry to hear  your Grafton  store has limited  options  can you put in online orders for stuff?  or  order via the special order service at least.

The earth wool as far as  I know is les itchy than  fibreglass fibres for starters for  installation purpose it is fire proof and comes  with a 50 year warranty whats not to like An R rating of 3 is very  good for most homes Earth wool goes to 6,0  depending on the batt thiknesThey do floors roofs walls  and ceilings.  https://www.earthwool.com.au/    His includes how too videoes.

You  doing all that plumbing in one hit wow good move  getting the plumbers out there and covering  all that work  if they any thing like the  electricians needing explosives under them to move them in your area. 

Looking at your great paint work really shows up that old  roof now It will be great to see it a matching all shiny roof  I am not sold on the gargoles sitting on each roof corner though.

I tried the new  air friers as  mini grills/ovens they work great and  low power vs Regular ovens. Using  the  big oven to cook something all i see  is another $100 added to  the power bill if you  us it weekly.  Twenty years  ago electricity was a non issue we ran a 17 HP whole house aircon we have to phone the grid and let them  know  before turning it on. (Furphy)

Great progress.  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects