Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wine cellar

Goldmember
Having an Impact

Wine cellar

Just wondering if anyone here has their own wine cellar? I can't afford to do something as fancy as these photos but would like to utilise the space under the house. 

Spiral-staicase-leading-into-a-wine-cellar-that-saves-up-on-space.jpgGlass-Door-1-500.jpgtrapdoor.jpg

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: Wine cellar

@Goldmember, if you're talking about creating space underneath an existing home, then structural issues would be astronomically expensive.

For a new build, specifying underground rooms/accomodation, while more expensive than above ground, could be worth your while energywise in the long run (heating & cooling), &/or build in some future flexibility (shiftwork sleeping quarters, or a nag dungeon :grin:).

I don't need to create space, there's enough headroom between the ground and the floor. I just need a way of accessing it, like a hatch in a room. Would be much easier and more convenient than the current outside access. And some lining to keep moisture/dirt out would be good. Anyone done anything similar? 

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Goldmember, my mistake, so I take it that you're looking for a discreet means of access to your underfloor area.

If you have a linen press, perhaps remove the lower shelves, replace them with a roll out drawer system instead, so that you can wheel it out to get to your newly made manhole in the base of the linen press. 

For the underfloor storage area itself, I'd recommend constructing a suspended floor, to avoid dampness problems.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Kermit, yeh wine buffs can tend to get carried away, what's wrong with buying space saving casks, & stick'n 'em in the fridge? :cheeky:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects