Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wood glue for interior use on door jamb

Oz
Finding My Feet

Wood glue for interior use on door jamb

I've bought a house and the previous owner didn't put in the door jambs around each door frame for whatever reason. He measured them and left them in perfect condition in the garage. Anyway the wind is driving me insane as the doors rattle. I can pull the doors all the way forward past the latch. I need to know what sort of wood glue can I use from Bunnings to glue them into place? 

20191031_161809.jpg

20191031_161752.jpg

  

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Wood Glue for interior hse work.

Hi @Oz - Sika and Gorilla have great products for you for the glue.

The jams are also nailed in with a C1 Brad Nailer but if you don't already have one of those (expensive if you won't use again) and can't borrow one, you can just hammer small nails in then use a centre punch to finish the nail head below surface of jam/wood, then patch and paint.

Hope this helps.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
JP_Finlay
Having an Impact

As @ProjectPete said the most important part will be the nailing rather than the glue. The nails will pull them flush with the frames and you don't necessarily need glue to hold them in place. Wood glue can also make it harder if you are trying to hand nail the jambs as they can slide around on the bed of glue.

Brad them on if you have access to a nail gun or hand nail and punch if not. Either way you will need to fill and sand the holes before you can paint the door frames. Hope this was usefull

Cheers

JP

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Wood glue for interior use on door jamb

Hi @Oz,

Welcome to Workshop. We're pleased to have you join the community. Congratulations on the new house! Feel free to post anytime - we're sure our clever and creative members will be able to assist with all the projects big and small you might be planning to tackle. And please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can make Workshop more useful to you.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Oz
Finding My Feet

Re: Wood glue for interior use on door jamb

Thank you for the advice and help! I will be going off to Bunnings in the next few days and pass along the advice :smile:

Good point re the glue creating a bit of slide @JP_Finlay 

@Oz depending on what else you have planned for your house and other woodworking you do or will get into, you may be able to justify $150 or so for a cheaper brand or second-hand brad nailer.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Glue? You may want to sand off the paint and glue wood to wood then nail it on. Otherwise go with petes suggestion. Its always an excellent excuse to buy new power tools! You never know when you will renovate timber furniture.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects