Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Your plans for 2020

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Your plans for 2020

It's been a tough start to 2020 for many Australians, but let me wish all Workshop members a very happy (and safe) new year. I hope this year brings plenty of joy and exciting new challenges. 

I never fail to be impressed at the power of community. How everyone has unique experiences and knowledge they can share. And I’m constantly impressed at how generous people can be in sharing their time and expertise with others. Check out The Top 10 Workshop projects of 2019 if you want some great examples and plenty of project inspiration. 

Holidays can not only help recharge the batteries, they can also provide some time to plan the year ahead. This site recorded record page views over the last couple of weeks, so obviously there are a lot of people thinking about new projects around the house and garden.  

What projects are you planning to kick off this year?

Jason

Plans.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Re: Your plans for 2020

@Jason After moving into a new rental a few years back, I no longer have a large garage to store all my tools in and have them accessible. This year I would like to get that sorted, acquire at least a workbench and have the essentials ready at hand.

I've found that because I can't locate tools readily, I'm re-purchasing the same item numerous times.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Install a TV tomorrow and fix a leaking toilet (not mine)

Learn candle making because Jiying/Linda who spends her time photographing flowers and has a rose tattoo wants lemon scented candles not flowers or easy to find scented candles...

My to do list includes -

Fireplace make over.

Bathroom vanity and if I feel energetic remove the wall paper and replace fittings.

Paint the kitchen. I would like new cabinets but that may be next year.

Paint the passage and replace the cabinet there.

Main bedroom flooring, furniture and painting.

Paint lounge room and remove old air conditioner.

Pond.

Meter Box

Ramp on the verandah and it needs some love.

Kitchen and loungeroom furniture that may be a mix of make and buy.

Wishlist of tools - drum sander, jointer, thicknesser and I would like a wood lathe and glass kiln but I need to clean the .... out of the sheds and have a balance between fixing other peoples things and fixing my own.

Things on the maybe list

Alsert doors are interesting, there maybe cheaper glass doors though for cupboards.

New doors, architraves and skirtings in Tas Oak and stained glass for some doors.

Make over for the front of the house and the can of worms it opens up for front fence, paths. driveway and roof.

Smart locks for the doors, the screen doors are a pita to do but if I am doing frames it will be then or never.

Her wish list...

Ikea panda's every where.

For someone who likes flowers she is into make everything black, maybe Japan Black in the bedroom.

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Brad I'm exhausted just thinking about your list! Good stuff, plenty to keep you busy. Please post some progress shots along the way, would love to follow it through with you.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Yes know exactly how that is @MitchellM  I am still living out of boxes and have not been able to find a lot of things so have purchased others.  This year I'd also like to tackle making room, finishing thing and being able to have my things easier to find.  So I wish you luck also.

My list of to do keeps growing and growing.  I have to have an operation on my index finger next week, so until that is completed and healed I'm on hold, but have just started on live edge kitchen bench tops, breakfast bar and another bench to go on top of the vanity which is 2.3mt long.

Still looking for any advice I can possibly get on live edge slabs - more so placing them on top of existing bench tops, as I read that they can sweat or retain moisture.  Which I'm not sure of.  I wasn't going to seal the underside of the 3.3mt x 1.2mt(in places) breakfast bar, but have since read another article where they recommend I do as moisture around and under sinks and dishwashers can cause damage.  I can assure you I only want to seal this big momma once!  As every time I have to roll it over to do the other side I will have to borrow my neighbor or son-in-law, maybe both!  :smile:

I have to say I am getting excited for when it comes out of the shed into the house for fitting.  I was hoping to have the main one cut to size *( with help) prior to finger operation - so fingers crossed.

Sorry I've waffled again...

Old gal

Old gal

Aussie-Garden
Becoming a Leader

Nothing really ambitious here, due to budget reasons.

• Shade for the 2 raised garden beds.

Shaded 1 today with scrap items. Looks solid and should last a while.

• Re-pot about 50 native grasses, shrubs and small trees that were all little seedlings and were planted together in big boxes.

Started that today after blending bags of soil from Bunnings with compost that is almost done. Very glad I saved all my plastic pots from over the years.

About half done so far.

• Later in the year, make multiple native garden beds in the front yard with the natives I am re-potting.
  • Later in the year, if we have the money, build a hoop house over the little orchard I have. Bird net it and have removable shade cloth for extremely hot days.
  • Make planter boxes from scrap wood for various plants that are ready to come out of pots.
  • Make a chicken house for the orchard, so a couple of the chooks can live in there and do their thing.
  • Fix up the current housing for the other chooks.

That's about it for me.

Well @Aussie-Garden  that sounds very industrious to me.   I have a massive list myself, but it's so darn hot here in the Summer that much of it I just have to wait till it cools down before I can get into it. 

All the best

Old Gal

Really looking forward to it all @Old-gal24 

I have one new project for 2020, that I am keen to get going.

After the recent talk about passion fruit here I'd like to build a rectangle  frame off one side of the alfresco and train passion fruit to grow over it, so the fruit hang down over our head as we go out to that side of the yard.

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Same to you @Jason and every other member of this amazing community. It's been great seeing its growth and I'm looking forward to sharing and learning more in 2020.

The never-ending to do list

• Finish my pool area which is the decking lid over underground enclosure for equipment, finishing touches on feature fence, plant and grow my cacti/succulents.
  • Finish front yard - mulching, pebbles/gravels, few more plants.
  • Install my Cedar cladding to front portico. I've got the timber in the garage, just needs to be oiled and installed.
  • Finish my FIFA/theatre room. Definitely got deprioritised last year. It's functional, but not finished. There'll be wall cladding, painting, shelving, ceiling mounted wall-to-wall curtains and art work to go in.
  • Furnish and finish my balcony area.
  • Design and complete the back corner of my yard. Currently just has fake grass as a placeholder but we want to create a sitting/shaded area with some decking, concrete finishings and whatever else comes to mind. We just need to be conscious of not taking up too much of our kid's backyard as that was one of the main reasons we built the new home - to give them more play area.

Then there's just a bunch of other bits and pieces to do and some side/passion projects that are nice-to-haves so will just see how the year pans out really. 2019 was a busy year for my business and I plan to build it even more this year so I also need to account for that and of course the time to relax and spend time with family and friends, especially after last year which is a bit of a write off with how busy I was haha.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

@Aussie-Garden   Just bear in mind that passion fruit vines are frost tender, so when planting you may have to consider somewhere that is protected from the frosts.

cheers

Old gal

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects