Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom drain clogging problem

bm
Cultivating a Following

Bathroom drain clogging problem

Hello team, 

Good day. Hope you all are well. 

I am looking for some help here please. 

My bathroom drain is clogged. I can see lumps of  hair.  I  am trying to remove the drain cover ( see attached pic) but unable to. 

Please can someone advise on how to remove this drain cover.

Also,  once removed what  tools/cleaners can be used to unclog?

Any suggestions, very much appreciated. 

Thanks

draincoverdraincover

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathroom drain clogging problem

Hi @bm,

The drain cover removes with a 1/4 turn anti-clockwise. If you use needle-nosed pliers, they should give you more purchase on the cover. 

We have the Kinetic 40cm Sink Drain Unblocker which works well for loose hair, but if it's more compacted, try the Kinetic 90cm Coiled Drain And Sink Cleaner. I'd probably just go straight to the metal coiled cleaner. You can also use these in combination with a chemical cleaner like Drain Clean 2L Hair Unclogger.

Please let us know how you go and if you have trouble getting that cover off.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

"I can see lumps of hair"

A few week back - our bathroom vanity was slow to drain.

I 'plunged' and managed to grab some hair strands and pulled and pulled.

I'm bald.

My wife has medium length dark hair.

CSI not required - open and shut case.

20211025_104853.jpg

bm
Cultivating a Following

Thank you @MitchellMc  @Noyade  for your advise. 

Today i bought the  Craftwright plier https://www.bunnings.com.au/craftright-210mm-long-nose-plier_p0154794

and the Kinetic 90cm Coiled Drain And Sink .  Managed to open the cover and used the snake  - guess what -  Out came a monster lump of hair. 

Clog is gone.  see pic below.

There is hair/others(see the black on the green outlet)  stuck on the  drain -  i tried to clean it - doesn't come off.  

will the Drain Clean 2L Hair Unclogger help to clean this off - or any other cleaner that is safe to use?  

any scrapers/brush you can suggest that is safe - tried the soft bristle ones - doesn't work.

Thanks  a lot once again

bm 

drain2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bm,

All drains will have a certain amount of buildup within them. It's a bit hard to tell, but if that's a 50mm pipe, then it looks about right. I wouldn't be concerned about the material attached to the sidewalls of the pipe. Now that the drain is flowing, I'd wait and see if the blockage is a recurring issue. If it is, we can deal with it then. You could try some Drain Clean 2L Hair Unclogger, but if it flows straight past the blockage, it's really just money down the drain. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects