Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom reno ideas - removing bathtub and adding a toilet

unawarek
Cultivating a Following

Bathroom reno ideas - removing bathtub and adding a toilet

We're after some ideas/inspiration/advice for a bathroom reno.

Our house is a 3 bed 1 bath place, with the toilet seperate from the bathroom. We're thinking of updating the bathroom, and at the same time remove the bathtub and replace it with a toilet. I've attached some photos of the floorplan, the current bathroom, and some diagrams of the current and possible new layouts. 

We were thinking of moving the vanity across to the other wall, and put a toilet at the corner instead. A shaving cabinet from IKEA (https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/enhet-mirror-cabinet-with-2-doors-white-s19396572/) would go above the 900mm vanity.

We'd probably replace the current shower screen with a semi-frameless one, with the door opening out towards the vanity (or sliding doors if possible). Towel rails will go between the vanity and shower screen, or possibly between the toilet and the door. 

For the floor, we were thinking grey-ish tiles, with glossy white large rectangle tiles (not subway tiles) for the walls (probably all the way to the ceiling?).

How does that sound? This is the first major renovation we're going to do (technically we're just paying, getting a company in to do the actual work lol), and would appreciate any advice on anything we may have missed. Thanks!

Current:

bathroom old.jpg

New:

bathroom new.jpg

Floorplan:

floorplan.jpeg

Photo (from when we bought the house, there's a lot more clothes and stuff lying around now.... lol):

photo.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathroom reno ideas - removing bathtub and adding a toilet

Hello @unawarek

Thank you for sharing your question about bathroom renovation ideas on removing your bathtub and adding a toilet.

Your idea of having the toilet in the corner is ideal. It hides it from the line of sight and is not the first thing you see coming into your bathroom. I recommend having the shower door on the other side as this will give you more space to have a bigger vanity. If you are using that space beside the vanity for something else then just leave the vanity as is at 900mm.

I suggest mounting the towel rail on the right-hand side near the door so that it will not look so crowded. It also uses that space more effectively letting you have a towel rail in whatever size you want. Let me draw up some sketches for you to give you an idea of what it might look like.

Here is a handy guide: How to plan a bathroom renovation by @Adam_W

Here are some of our featured bathroom renovation projects shared by our members:

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jaga
Having an Impact

Hi @unawarek 

I agree with @EricL that the shower door would  be best facing the entry door, and then increase the width of the shower, or vanity, or both (unless you have something specifically to put in between them..

When I refurbished my bathroom (see link in Eric’s post), I increased the size of my shower by just 100mm, and it really felt like a big increase… I don’t think you’ll regret going for a slightly bigger shower..

Consider however, the space between shower and vanity, because you don’t want to end up with a small, unusable space between.. it’s a good idea to think about the extra things you like to have in your bathroom - some people like a small garbage bin, or space for a dirty clothes basket, for example.. this could be a good spot for that, if you left say, 300mm between the vanity and shower.

Hope this helps.

jaga

unawarek
Cultivating a Following

@EricL 

Thanks for the tips! We were thinking of having the towel rails as far from the toilet as possible for hygiene purposes. Perhaps on the right side of the shower, between the shower and the door?

@jaga 

Didn't occur to us to expand the shower area! That's a good idea. 

We were planning to put a laundry basket and a small shelf in the space between the shower and the vanity, hence the space. Our little one is getting a little older and starting to use a learning tower to reach the tap and brush her teeth, so that could possibly be put in that space too. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @unawarek 

Here are some sketches for you to look at. It should give you a better idea of the layout of your bathroom. I've placed the towel rail where you suggested and I think it is much more practical in that spot. If you wish to see it in another configuration, please let me know.

Eric

unawarek bath1.jpgunawarek bath2.jpgunawarek bath3.jpgunawarek bath4.jpgunawarek bath5.jpgunawarek bath5.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects