Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Budget bathroom reno

projectmumdanni
Making a Splash

Budget bathroom reno

We started our reno budget today. Just ripping off tiles and smoothing wall down to put VJ panelling over. Then we were going to lay our hybrid waterproof planks down..but then we found there is no waterproofing on walls and floor..so floor and everything else is on hold til tomorrow. Won't be able to put vanity in until someone can help my partner get off his ute.

Am wondering whether to paint the cupboard doors next to shower with my white laminate paint.

20230617_164756.jpg

 no drain in floor either..Lucky we ripping tiles up and can put one in tomorrow.

I've spray painted the mirror edge white and the window. 

Screenshot_20230617_094542_Facebook.jpg

We brought this vanity with stone benchtop $300 off facebook..just gotta fix the base underneath.

20230617_164730.jpg

So some work in progress...looking forward to seeing how it all comes together tomorrow ❤️

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Budget Bathroom Reno

Great start, @projectmumdanni! You've made some good progress.

You might have already seen it, but there is a specific VJ panel for wet areas. The normal version can deteriorate in moist environments.

With the doors, you could certainly paint them, and I think white would be a good choice. Before you do, you might like to consider fancying them up a little as @sjloves did with their Decorating pantry doors project. That could add a little interest to the space if it suited your styling.

Please keep us updated; we'll all be thrilled to see your results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitch for the information on the vj panelling..did not know there was wet area panelling. We did waterproof under panelling so far and where the tile has been cut for vanity base. We won't be running the waterproof laminate flooring through, just going to keep the outdated tile for now :unhappy: my partners friend is coming over tomorrow to put vanity in its place 😀 

Thanks so much for the link for the cupboard doors, I brought some roll of laminate and was going to give that a go. Just wondering do I paint the strip's before putting onto door panels or after? 

20230618_163020.jpg

 Need to replace the power point covers I think 🤔 

You could likely paint the trim before or after installation @projectmumdanni. What was the laminate that you bought, and how were you going to use that?

Mitchell

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Budget bathroom reno

Hello @projectmumdanni,

Trust you've been well. How is your bathroom reno coming along? We'd love to see any updates. 

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any additional questions. We'd be happy to help.

Akanksha

Hi Akanksha, I still need to paint the wall the window is on and then figure out what colour to paint cupboard. We aren't able to do anything with floors. Plus unsure if ceiling has asbestos as wanting to replace the old fan and remove sky light as pretty sure that's how alot of mould in ceiling 😢

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thanks for getting back to us with the update, @projectmumdanni. Hope the rest of the reno goes smoothly.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can assist you in any way. I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts and knowledgeable community members will be happy to help.

Akanksha

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects