Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I hang heavy mirror on plaster wall?

Evie2
Finding My Feet

Can I hang heavy mirror on plaster wall?

Hi there! I recently purchased this 900mm mirror https://www.futureglass.com.au/collections/round-mirrors/products/round-satin-brass-stainless-steel-...

I didn’t expect the weight.. the box says 17.5 kg.. lifting it does agree that it’s quiet heavy.. Surprised with the weight, I’m now unsure if I can hang it securely on plaster wall? Can I? Any tips on how I can do it properly? Thank you.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Can I hang heavy mirror on plaster wall?

Hi @Evie2,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for the house and garden.

This is a common challenge so we have this helpful article for you: How do hang a heavy mirror on the wall?

Have a good look at the advice shared and please let us know if you have any follow-up questions.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Evie.

There a plenty of products available to support that weight on gyprock walls.

Just pop down to Bunnings and talk to a staff member in the anchoring hardware section.

Personally, I like the expanding anchorage system. Bunnings were selling this kit for only $15...

Syneco Hollow Wall Anchor SetSyneco Hollow Wall Anchor Set

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Evie2

My apologies for the late reply. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend using Zenith 40kg Zinc Plated SurehookStud Free Picture Hanger or Hangman Double Headed Black Bear Claw Screws - 6 Pack. Please note that the Bear Claw Screw must be attached to a timber stud behind the plaster wall. Whereas the Zenith Picture Hanger can be installed directly into the plaster wall.

In ideal situations, there would be a timber stud exactly where you would need to install the mirror. However, we know from experience that this is not the case. It's always best to hang a heavy mirror from a solid structure like a stud. I suggest using a stud finder to locate the position of the stud. But if there isn't one located in the spot where you need to install the mirror, I suggest using the Zenith Picture Hanger to hang your mirror.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Evie2
Finding My Feet

Thanks @Jason@Noyade , @EricL for the suggestions! I’ll work through them and will report back. This forum is very helpful!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects