Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dual tap to mixer tap - job for a plumber?

dannyrus
Building a Reputation

Dual tap to mixer tap - job for a plumber?

Hey folks,

I'm mid-way through a bathroom reno and I managed to pick up a used vanity with tap, so would like to be able to use it all if possible.

The old taps were individual hot & cold taps and the 'new' one is a mixer - I'm not shy about tackling a plumbing job, but to get these all to talk to each other should I leave this to a pro, or is it DIY-able?

Thanks hugely in advance! (This is an awesome community, learning a lot from the old posts as well as my own so thanks everyone!).

New_tap_•_rus_danny_gmail_com.png

Taps_•_rus_danny_gmail_com.png

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Re: Dual tap to mixer tap - job for a plumber?

That's a tough one, DIY/Components that requires licencing and those that don't?
Here's my spin...... Black, grey and white
Strict Licensing
Structural Engineering, Electrical trades, Fire Engineering  Gas Plumbing, 
Grey Licensing
Domestic Water Plumbings, Carpentry, Brick laying, Concreting,etc

There should exist provisions for compliance checking and easier certification if competent DIYers undertake this work
No licensing
Painting, Architecture

Problems arise when people put up photos without data and proofs, where the works are non compliant and others copy it
hth

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @dannyrus.

Perhaps you might consider engaging a friendly professional and working beside him/her so you learn yourself for next time? And I’m sure the friendly Workshop community would also be happy to provide tips and advice along the way.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dannyrus
Building a Reputation

That's a really good breakdown @BIM_Engineer and good point about the photos, thanks for that - I've seen a discussion in another thread on here about cases where insurance won't cover plumbing work if it hasn't been completed by a licenced plumber - so I reckon based on that, I'll take your suggestion @Jason and get a pro out here. If they don't mind me observing, I might watch out of interest.

Thanks a mill guys!

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Fair advice you've received @dannyrus 

From a DIY perspective, the ends of the flex hoses you've pictured get attached to the copper piping at the base of where the taps currently connect to the copper piping coming out the wall.  You'll notice the other end of those flex hoses have a small thread which screws into the underside of the mixer.

A challenge you'll often face in these scenarios is the existing copper piping being in a position which interferes with the new basin and/or prevents the flex hoses to sit comfortably without kinks (you can buy different lengths to address this in some cases). This is when the pipes will often need to be cut and while it is DIY-able (from a complexoty perspective) it's definitely when you should be calling a plumber.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
dannyrus
Building a Reputation

Thanks for the help everyone - ended up getting a licensed plumber in who was brilliant... and when I saw the work he did I was glad I called him. He replaced/refitted the piping with individual hot & cold isolator taps, installed new hoses etc, so it's done the way it should be now. I know 100% I wouldn't have gone to that effort if I had DIY'd it (more from a lack of knowledge than a lack of will).

Thanks again for all the advice - good to know if anything goes wrong now, at the very least it's all insurance-friendly.

Good outcome @dannyrus and definitely better to get a pro in sometimes 

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great result @dannyrus, many thanks for sharing. 

How's your bathroom reno progressing?

Looking forward to reading about the next project that you're tackling - feel free to post anytime you need a hand.  

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

How very true.  The more info the better.  

But is there a reply that can be of help?  I would like to know the answer to this one myself.

Cheers

Jenn

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Here Read This

Licensed or Unlicensed...Damned if you do ...Damned if you don't

NSW couple left out of pocket after tradies botched renovations — twice

The take home message is

1.Do your own research

2.Check to see if there are National  Codes and Australian Standards

3.Alternate solutions need to be certified

4.Ask for data and proofs on 3. above

5.Consider what's the worst thing that can happen if things go terribly wrong ie, cracked tiles->building collapse?

6.If the work requires proper licensing & certified documentation then get Detailed instructions and specifications

7.Make sure the expert certifying the completed work is trusted, licensed and competent.

8.Don't rely on insurance policies, Professional  Building Surveyors that certify building compliance, eg waterproofing are now becoming an uninsurable risk

Massive PI insurance hikes have claimed their first victim as Protek shuts doors

hth

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects