Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ensuite bathroom renovation

homeinmelbourne
Becoming a Leader

Ensuite bathroom renovation

🚿🚽 Renovating our small ensuite bathroom

Our first big DIY project was to renovate our ensuite bathroom. We did everything ourselves from demo, re-lining the villaboard walls, screeding, waterproofing, tiling, installing new cornices, painting and installing all the fittings and fixtures. We wanted to achieve a light, bright and clean look as it is a small bathroom so we opted for all white tiles on the walls and a grey large-format floor tile. To keep consistent with the matte black tapware, we opted for matte black finishes on all the other bathroom fitting accessories (toilet flush button, toilet roll holder, hand towel holder, shower caddy, shower screen knob and the vanity drawer pulls).

Finished Ensuite RenovationFinished Ensuite RenovationFinished Ensuite RenovationFinished Ensuite RenovationFinished Ensuite RenovationFinished Ensuite RenovationEnsuite Bathroom BeforeEnsuite Bathroom BeforeRe-lined walls with Villaboard following plumbing layout changes.Re-lined walls with Villaboard following plumbing layout changes.Bonded screed laid to raise floor level to allow for falls to waste in shower.Bonded screed laid to raise floor level to allow for falls to waste in shower.Under-tile waterproof membrane to floor and shower recess with waterstops.Under-tile waterproof membrane to floor and shower recess with waterstops.Wall and floor tiling with large format and mosaic.Wall and floor tiling with large format and mosaic.

Details of what we used

Fittings & Fixtures:

Tapware: Reece

Mirror: Bunnings - Living Elements Black Framed Oblong Mirror

Toilet: Bunnings Mondella Rimless Toilet

Vanity: IKEA

Sink: Timberline

Frameless shower screen: Facebook Marketplace

Hand Towel Holder: Bunnings Fusion-Loc

Shower Caddy: Bunnings - Fusion-Loc

Exhaust Fan: Bunnings - Arlec

Tiles:

Kit Kat Mosaic Tiles: Facebook Marketplace

Wall Tiles: Bunnings - Duratile 300 x 600 mm White Gloss

Floor Tiles: Bunnings - Bellazza 600 x 600 mm Crema Tile

Tile Levelling Clips & Tile Spacers: Bunnings

White Grout: Bunnings - Davco

Grey Floor Grout: Bunnings - Dunlop

James Hardie Villaboard from Bunnings

Gripset Undertile Membrane from Bunnings

All other waterproofing materials and consumables from Bunnings

Window and Door Architraves Trim from Bunnings

Ceiling Paint: Dulux White Ceiling +PLUS Kitchen and Bathroom

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ensuite bathroom renovation

Hello @homeinmelbourne

Thank you very much for sharing your ensuite bathroom renovation. What a fantastic D.I.Y. effort, you must be very happy with the results. Looking at the photos it is a very small bathroom, but with the tile colours you've chosen, you've definitely achieved that light, bright clean look. It looks so much bigger and gives off a very relaxing vibe. It is a world of difference when you compare it to the old look you had before. 

I'm sure our members will find this project very inspirational and it could even be included in the Top 10 most popular bathroom projects.

Again, thank you for sharing your ensuite bathroom renovation.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you, @EricL for the kind words. Looking forward to sharing more of our D.I.Y. renovation and garden projects.

Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

@homeinmelbourne 

What a fabulous job with the en suite reno.

Glad to see you extended the waterproofing membrane beyond the shower area and I can't quite see with your pictures but I think you have created a stepless shower in the process? There simply is no need to have a step into a shower if the drainage is done correctly and it looks so sleek, well done and welcome to the community.

I have a feeling you will be able to help allot of people considering a bathroom reno. My husband and I built our entre house from the ground up including the bathrooms, everything really and there is nothing more satisfying than seeing it all come together and the money that can be saved is incredible as you no doubt know.

Cheers,

Barbara

Hello again Barbara! @Baretta11Thank you for your lovely words of encouragement! Yes, it is a stepless/frameless shower.

Well done to you and your husband on building your home from the ground up! That’s amazing! I hope to be able to do that one day. I am still new here on the workshop community but am already so inspired by everyone’s DIY projects.

@homeinmelbourne 

Lovely to see you receive such a warm welcome from the community. And deserved praise for your renovation work!

I thought you might be interested to see @Baretta11's amazing home build - New house built from scratch. It's very inspiring.

Jason

Wow, it's amazing what you and your husband have created @Baretta11 and the indoor pool is next level!

Thank you for sharing the post @Jason!

natalia1
Just Starting Out

@homeinmelbourne 

hello, can you please let me know what basins you used in this reno.  They look great. thanks

Hi @natalia1,

It is the 'Allure' above counter ceramic basin from Timberline. 😊

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @natalia1

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the basin used in the bathroom renovation.

If you're after a similar product the Caroma Tribute above-counter sink can be ordered at the special orders desk. Are you currently in the middle of a renovation or are you just replacing the basin? 

Any updates you can share about your project would be highly appreciated.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects