Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

First laundry and front yard reno ever

djcassar82
Finding My Feet

First laundry and front yard reno ever

F2440A60-27E9-4892-A653-DE0223F121E4.jpeg

during lockdown, and after losing my father just before the start of it. Anxiety and sadness got me, so I thought I’d renovate the laundry and do the front yard and fence. No help, just me. I have never ever done anything like this. 

bunnings saved my life. I put up structures in the laundry as I had designed the night before and up it went. Fastened it to the studs and here we have a laundry from 1975 changed to a useable storage laundry.

the front yard. Full motorised colorbond fencing and gate. Recycled paved pathway. 2.4x200x50 treated sleepers creating the planter boxes. Filled with premium potting mix. 

153BD98C-9E52-428A-A1F9-B6869BB261C0.jpeg

36501D77-75B3-4335-B35F-EA5A40A13C1A.jpeg

A3A9779B-09C2-41A7-A5D2-6CDEAC8CFC2F.jpeg

F24098FD-BCE0-4F03-97C9-5E7D4D5E42DB.jpeg

6E007B3A-48CD-4BE3-AB4E-C223A492DBBD.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: first laundry and front yard reno ever

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @djcassar82. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing this gorgeous project.

Also, thank you so very much for letting us know the very personal reasons behind your project. D.I.Y. can be an amazing outlet to deal with all types of stress.

You've done a tremendous job all by yourself. The front yard make-over is simply lovely, and that laundry reno is sensational. What have you done with the bench there? The thickness is very captivating, and I trust our members will be keen to hear more about it.

What was your favourite part of the whole build?

This would make an excellent entry into our Australia's Best D.I.Y. Competition. Shall I enter it for you?

I look forward to seeing what project you'll be working on next; as if the skills you've shown here are anything to go by, it will be inspirational. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi there Mitchell, 

thanks for the reply and kind words. 

the bench top was made with a few different materials. The main material was Specrite 18m pine. I wanted it to be a feature, so I made sure that I waterfalled it by using a butt joint. This was to also to give some protection on the new washer and dryer.  Also did this with another location that you can’t see in the photo, around the sink that’s hiding in the corner. 
I added ventilation to the rear of that counter by using recycled pegboard. 

my favourite part of any project is definitely the making mistakes and learning from it. Not to mention having to go buy more tools while in the process. I realised I did watch my father so much, he taught me than I had realised. 

that would be awesome. If you could enter my projects into that. It would be an honour. 

the next project will be the kitchen. Don’t know if I’m scared or silly lol 

derrick 

We've added your project to the competition, Derrick (@djcassar82).

Good luck!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects