Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fixing laundry system without studs

desaiadi
Growing in Experience

Fixing laundry system without studs

PXL_20210724_050345150.jpg

Hi all,

I have started installing a laundry system in the laundry, for storage and drying (has clothesline and shelves). 

Due to lack of studs in the position I require, I have installed the channels using the Twist n Lock type screw anchors for plaster walls (rated capacity is 15kgs each). There are multiple screws I have attached (around 15 in horizontal length of 2.5m). And will be installing around 5 screws for each vertical channel.

The fixing 'feels' pretty strong. But now I am thinking, will these plasterwall screws be fine in long run?!! Or was I better off installing horizontal timber channels (screwed on studs) ! Help please- should I take out all(I am halfway through the project) and horizontal install timber channels to use as backing?

PXL_20210724_050328265.jpg

desaiadi
Growing in Experience

Re: Fixing laundry system without studs

Update - So I decided to finish the installation using the Twist n Lock screws. Luckily, found 1 horizontal timber behind while drilling, so could use screws in that plane across all channels. 

The final system looks pretty organised. Hoping that the Twist n Lock stay as strong as they appear to be right now.

IMG-20210724-WA0013.jpg

PXL_20210724_103623601.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @desaiadi

Thank you for sharing your laundry system project. Since you have placed many of the Ramset Wallmate Twist N Lock it should provide an adequate anchor for your rails and spread the load applied to it. Ideally placing timber battens screwed into the stud frame would be the recommended anchoring method. I suggest observing the assembly once you have started using it. If you notice that the anchors are lifting out of the wall or your shelf system starts to lean, it is an indication that too much weight has been applied to the anchors. 

The Flexi Storage Wire Shelf System looks fantastic in your laundry and should provide excellent storage for all your items. How long did it take you to install the set? What kind of budget would you recommend to put aside if a community member wanted to duplicate your project? Any tips or advice you can share would be much appreciated.

Let me tag our experienced member @tom_builds for his suggestion.

We look forward to seeing more.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
desaiadi
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the response. And yes, will look out for any leaning movement on the rack. Looks pretty sturdy right now.

It took me half a day to mark-up and install the system (frame of 2.8m long and 2m high - with multiple shelves as seen from pic). It's an IKEA Boaxle system.

The time consuming part was the mark-up as it required accuracy - more so because all the screw anchors had to be aligned with channels (that's one thing about using multiple plasterwall anchors that takes lot of time for me).

The final system installed as seen from my last pic was around $260, plus around $30 for anchors and screws (bought a 100pack Ramset twist n lock from Bunnings for around $45- must have used 40 off for this project).

Trust this helps.

Cheers,

A

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @desaiadi

Thank you so much for the materials and installation update. I'm sure our members will find the steps you shared useful. If you have any other projects planned, please keep us updated.

Again, thank you so much for sharing, we look forward to seeing more.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tom_builds
Making a Splash

Hi @desaiadi , 

Your laundry looks great after having finished your porject!

I think you've done the right thing by spreading the load across mutliple plugs and screws, and even better that you managed to find a stud in the right spot which will provide a significant amount of load support.

And thanks for the mention @EricL , unfortunately I had a busy weekend so missed until now.

Best of luck

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects