Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Grout haze / residue removal

JLittle
Just Starting Out

Grout haze / residue removal

IMG_1718.jpgIMG_1719.jpg

Hi Forum,

Ive recently had my shower floor re-grouted and hey have left quite abit of residue / chunks of grout across the floor tiles.

What is the best way to remove this? Especially without damaging the new grout or the tiles.

Pictures arent the easiest to tell but tiles are gloss white and grout is grey.

Kindest

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Grout Haze / Residue Removal

Hi @JLittle,

I'm sure our helpful members will be more than happy to assist. It might be useful for them to see a photo though. Could we trouble you to share a pic? Please let me know if you need a hand with uploading one. 

Welcome to the community. We're really pleased you could join us and look forward to reading more about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden. You'll find we have a wonderful group of members here sharing helpful advice and inspiring projects every day. Feel free to join in the discussion anytime. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Grout Haze / Residue Removal

Welcome to the Workshop community @JLittle. Many thanks for your question, I'll be happy to assist with it.

There are a couple of different ways to remove excess grout from tiles. The method you use depends on how long the grout has been there. Grout is essentially cement, the longer it has to dry the harder it gets to remove.

The first option is by scrubbing with some type of lubrication to assist. I would advise using an Oates Medium Duty Scrubbing Brush and some warm soapy water. Add a few drops of dishwashing liquid to a bowl of warm water and pour this over a small area. Wait a minute for the water to start penetrating the excess grout. Use the scrubbing brush with light circular motions to gently start breaking up the grout. The grout should start to dissolve and break up. You may need to repeat this process several times.

If the warm water method did not remove the grout, you can look at a chemical similar to Chemtech Brick Tile And Paver Cleaner. This product contains acid, so please follow all safety guidelines on the packaging before proceeding with it. You may wish to do a test section in an out of the way area, this will ensure the product does not damage the tiles. 

We look forward to hearing about your successful removal of the grout haze and residue. If you would like further information on these products or have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects