Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fix a clothes hook on a bathroom door?

effbee
Just Starting Out

How do I fix a clothes hook on a bathroom door?

Hi!

Ive got a clothes hook that I need to install on my bathroom door. It's just a standard bathroom door but I am not sure if I can just screw in the hook or do I need door anchors for it? I can't find any door anchors specifically for clothes hook at Bunnings. Any help on this?

IMG_20210330_003809.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I fix a clothes hook on a bathroom door?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @effbee. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

I'd recommend using Ramset M4 x 0-5mm Hollow Wall Anchors if it is a hollow-core door. They include a hook that you won't need. Hollow core doors have a skin sheet exterior and a cardboard honeycomb interior. These anchors expand and will grip the 3mm skin of the door. If you were to use standard screws, they'd likely pull out after some use. If it is a solid-core door, then you can use standard screws to secure the hanger.

You should start by holding your hook in the position you would like to hang it. Use a pencil to mark the location of the two mounting holes on the door. Remove the hook and place two holes in the door with an 8mm drill bit at the marked locations. You should only need to drill into the door around 20mm, but be careful not to drill through the entire door. Tap the anchors with a hammer into the holes until they are flush with the door skin.

Tighten the screw down, so it expands the anchor. Undo the screws and take them out of the anchors. Place your hook over the anchors and re-insert the screws.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

Anchor.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi MitchellMc, Thanks for your post, however I would like to point out a pretty big oversight that needs to be amended.  After tapping the anchors into the predrilled hole you are required to then tighten the screws in order to activate the expanding of the anchors before undoing the screws and taking them out of the anchors to fix the hook in place. The diagram is equally misleading. Please amend the diagram to show an arrow pointing in (ie tightening) as the anchor expands.

Screenshot_20220708-143506.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @tesskh

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Thank you for pointing out that confusing illustration. I'll be sure to pass on your suggestion to our suppliers. If you have any projects you are currently working on please don't hesitate to share them. If you have any questions regarding hanging clothes hooks.  Our members would be more than happy to provide advice and information. 

Eric

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tesskh,

The image taken from the supplier's product page in step three depicts the hollow wall anchor installation tool. It pulls the head of the screw out, expanding the toggle. Since we are installing the anchors by hand, I've edited that image to reflect the procedure better. 

The toggle can be expanded before or after the installation of the hook, but it must be expanded, as referenced in my original post. However, I understand the confusion and have edited my original post to reflect the procedure you've mentioned better.

Great pickup, and hopefully, my instructions and image should be much more precise now.

Many thanks.

Mitchell

Hi @effbee 

"expanding of the anchors"

A quick and easy way of expanding the anchors is with the Ramset anchor tool - highly recommended when using multiple anchors. 👍

20220709_104710.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects