Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I remove the parts behind the handles?

Andrea39
Finding My Feet

How do I remove the parts behind the handles?

7407904A-5F43-4BD9-BFEE-C150491E2B49.jpeg

I have tried a wall spanner and I have tried using WD40 and a wall spanner. What else can I do? Does this job require a plumber?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I remove the parts behind the handles?

Hi @Andrea39,

If a tap spanner isn't working for you then it could need more force applied to break the seal on the old washer. As with your spout question, make sure you are unscrewing in an anti-clockwise direction. In the tap spanner kit, there is normally a little bar to use as a handle whilst turning it. If you slip a solid pipe over the handle that is longer it will be able to apply more force.

Sometimes tap spindles can become quite stuck and it requires a significant amount of force to remove them. As with @redracer01's advice in your other thread, you don't want to put too much force on them or risk doing damage.

It's a bit hard to tell from the picture, but does the nut on the spindle protrude out from the wall at all? Even if it doesn't you might still be able to get an adjustable spanner on it. That's how I got my last spindle out that was stuck when the tap spanner wasn't working.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Andrea39 

You need to use this tool to remove the spindle.

Screenshot_20200908-134950_Chrome.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Andrea39,

I just thought I'd check-in to see if you have had any luck with removing your tap spindles.

Please let us know if you are still having issues with them.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I’ve already tried this with no luck. Do you have any other suggestions? I’ve also sprayed WD40 and that hasn’t made it any easier either

r23on
Amassing an Audience

I will assume you have turned the water off. If so open the tap ( turn the tap on to drain the water in the pipe) and release the pressure of the valve you should be able to undo the spindle using the tools suggested above.

Hope this helps 

I forgot if all else fails use a pipe wrench on the main body and a few gentle taps it will loosen, however you may need to replace the unit

What do you mean by replacing the unit? Is that just replacing the spindles? I tried releasing the pressure and then using the wall spanner but it wouldn’t budge. Is it better to call a plumber rather than trying any other methods in case I destroy the plumbing. The spout and spindles would be about 20 yes old so they seem to be stuck in place. Having said that I don’t have much muscular strength as well

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Ok first of all if doubt exist then call the plumber

The unit is the complete part spindle and main body, the spindle passes through the main body. The attached photo is the pipe wrench it has a longer handle giving you the Strength you need. Because the house is around 20 years old the fittings will be harder to get off. So something with a longer handle is needed. A plumber Will use the same sort of tool in this situation. hope this helps3c773eb4-127f-4749-915d-dfd6f9f8d35c.jpg

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi Andrea39

How did you go have you removed the tap assembly?

Hi Mitchell

your advice has been helpful. I went into Bunnings today and got a pipe wrench, hammer and long screwdriver. I managed to get the two and one spindle off and replace it.

ill have to get the other spindle off tomorrow. I might try using the pipe wrench instead of the wall spanner because the spindle doesn’t want to budge

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects