Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add a handheld shower to an existing fixed straight arm rain shower

bilcruise
Building a Reputation

How to add a handheld shower to an existing fixed straight arm rain shower

Hi guys,

I am really keen to add a handheld to this shower system. Did some googling and found that what needs to be done is to add a shower diverter that can control the flow and to allow the attachment of both the existing rain shower head and a handheld shower.

Is this correct? The resources I found was for people in the US though, so not sure how things are in AU (I am a novice when it comes to DIY). Can you recommend any products that are available at Bunnings?

IMG_6004.jpg

IMG_6003.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add a handheld shower to an existing fixed straight arm rain shower

Hi @bilcruise

You can achieve the same effect with these parts. I recommend using the Flexispray Chrome Plated Economy Flow Switch. This is the main diverter that will allow you to switch between the rain head and your shower head. Connect this part to the wall then connect the arm back onto it. Make sure to use Kinetic 12mm x 10m White Standard Thread Seal on all the threaded fittings.

For the shower assembly, I suggest using the Estilo 1500mm Stainless Steel Double Lock Shower HoseFlexispray WELS 3 Star 9L/Min Chrome Single Function Bermuda Handset, and the Flexispray Chrome Bermuda Shower Bracket to hold the showerhead onto the wall. You screw the hose to the bottom of the diverter and attach the handset onto the hose. You then attach the shower bracket to your preferred height for the handset to sit on.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bilcruise
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL , thanks for the suggestions. Just wondering, can I connect the flow switch in between the arm and rain shower head instead of on to the wall? What are the pros and cons with this, if it's possible to do so?

Hi @bilcruise,

You could quite possibly connect the diverter between the end of the arm and the showerhead. It depends on what thread size and type they've used. You might find it's a finer thread than what is used on the diverter.

I'm not sure what type of pros you're going to get from that arrangement. The cons would be that it will be difficult to operate the diverter as the showerhead will obstruct it, and the hose will be draping down in the middle of the shower. When you're not using the handheld shower, the hose will constantly be in the way.

Mitchell

nwos
Finding My Feet

Hi @bilcruise, did you happen to undertake this project? I’d be keen to see a picture of how the setup looks like as I also would like to do something similar. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @nwos. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a handheld shower.

I'd also recommend you take a look at the Estilo Twin Shower Set, as it's designed to retrofit a shower to provide this dual operation. A minimal amount of fixtures will be needed on the wall to accommodate it, and I feel it would give you more adjustability and a better overall result.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc,

Thank you for the suggestion, I’ve attached a photo of the shower arm, it’s installed quite high already. So the estilo twin shower set would be too high. Is there an alternative product? 

IMG_5949.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Oh, that is quite high, isn't it @nwos! I'd suggest that following @EricL's directions above might be the only option.

Mitchell

Bomber25
Cultivating a Following

Yes you can, I did this to my fixed rain heads a few weeks ago, because cleaning the shower was not easy without a hand held head. Most of the connections are universal. Away from home at the moment but can upload a photo in a couple of days. You ca just unscrew the rain head from the fixed arm and have a look at what you need. A hand held shower head can sit on a mount that sticks to the wall. I did mine for about $30 after delivery fees from the below.

https://www.mydeal.com.au/t-valve-3-way-toilet-diverter-valve-brass-bidet-t-adapter-9434003?gbraid=0... (Works for my shower)

https://m.shein.com/au/1pc-ABS-Showerhead-Daily-Black-Handheld-Shower-Sprinkler-For-Bathroom-p-16650... (Works fine)

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for your suggestion and confirmation, @Bomber25. The products you've used look very similar to those that @EricL suggested earlier in the discussion. Good to know they work. It looks like the diverter is the key to this arrangement. Where did you place it in your setup? On the wall prior to the shower head arm or directly before the shower head at the end of the arm.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects