Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to caulk my shower?

DIYHaveaCrack
Cultivating a Following

How to caulk my shower?

I am caulking for the first time and can't seem to get it right and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong (I have watched a LOT of caulking videos). I am re-doing the caulking in the vertical joint between the wall and the shower (on the outside of the shower). My application seems to always be slightly off centre and when I use the Caulking spreader on my Pro-caulking tool I seem to wipe the gel out of the joint rather than 'push' it in. I am sure there are MANY things I am doing wrong so some other guidance videos or suggestions would be appreciated. I'll go and clean up my last mess ready to have another go!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Caulking my shower - help needed

Hi @DIYHaveaCrack 

Professional trades people make it look so easy, but there is a way to duplicate a straight finish. The technique involves putting masking tape on either side of the gap before applying the silicone. In this manner, you can easily wipe away the excess silicone and you don't have to worry about the side finish. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to silicone seal a bath (this technique is applicable to your shower gap)

The trick is to make sure that the masking tape is totally straight. This will guarantee that the silicone application will be straight.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your shower properly sealed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYHaveaCrack
Cultivating a Following

I've done it! It's not perfect but pretty good for a first timer. Photos not great but trust me looks good! Tape used - vertical joinTape used - vertical joinNo tape used - horizontal joinNo tape used - horizontal joinTotally understand that my rookie mistake was cutting the first nozzle too big which made such a mess! For rookie's such as myself the painters tape trick was great (I didn't even need it on the small line at the bottom of the shower once my nozzle was cut correctly).  I also found that of all the caulking tools to smooth the bead (I tried both an actual 'tool' and an icecream stick) the best by far was my finger (dipped in the obligatory soapy water). Now to start on everything else! Caulking - had a crack - still don't like it haha.

That looks great @DIYHaveaCrack! You've done a fabulous job, and I'm pleased to hear that the masking tape trick worked a treat.

Many thanks for updating us.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects