Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change shower taps to shower mixers?

NormaMary
Finding My Feet

How to change shower taps to shower mixers?

How to change shower taps to mixers

20210714_234356.jpg

NormaMary
Finding My Feet

Re: How to change shower taps to shower mixers?

Thanks so much, I will check this out after covid!!

Norma 

noelle1
Just Starting Out

8DB7C9AA-6D6E-4399-AA5D-6FA67C847162.jpeg

Does Quoss work with this type of shower mixer? I mean they are quite old. Would it cause tiles break or wouldn’t fit because they are old style? Do I need a plumber to change it? Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @noelle1

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about the Quoss tapware.

Looking at the photo you posted, I think there is enough space for the Quoss mixer to be installed. Your tiles won't be modified while the mixer is being installed. If the current plumbing project is outside your scope of experience, I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber. They will be able to install the tapware and you will be covered by the warranty of the plumber. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we would be keen to see the Quoss mixer in your shower once it is installed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Lareina
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric,

I would like to ask you about the Quoss mixer. My shower was leaking 2 years ago, and the plumber saying that the part which washer attached has been some damaged. He changed a "quality washer" and it get fixed at that time. Now it's leaking again, we changed another washer, it won't stop leaking this time. I'm thinking, according to the working theory of Quoss mixer, the leaking can be stop after we change to Quoss mixer without fixing the damaged part in the wall. Am I right?

Lareina

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Lareina. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about leaking taps.

Where is the leak with your current mixer? Is the water leaking out the showerhead or into the wall?

The Quoss mixer will be a whole new mixer unit, including its own washer. Changing your existing mixer over to a new unit will resolve the leaking issues you have with your current mixer if it's the ceramic washer failing. Your ceramic washers should undoubtedly last more than two years, so it sounds like a good idea to swap the current unit over.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell, does the existing shower outlet need to be blocked off if using existing hose and shower head, or does the new unit take care of that

cheers

John

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @john304 

Technically it's not necessary to block it off as the Quoss unit isolates the hot and cold line in the wall. But it is worth covering up using a Brasshards 15mm Chrome Plated Brass Flat Cap along with the original cover flange to give it a nice, finished look.

Please note it might be necessary to engage a licensed plumber to complete this work. If in doubt, consult your local building authority before starting.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when working on your plumbing project.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: Quoss Mixer Installation

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects