Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix rotten door frame in bathroom?

Fefe1578
Finding My Feet

How to fix rotten door frame in bathroom?

Hi 

I don't usually do DIY work and I lack the tools at home and would appreciate some tips on products and what to buy to do this project. 

I need some help on how to fix this rotten door frame in the bathroom.It is next to the shower and the water has splashed on it over the years causing the bottom of the frame to bulge and soften. I have cut out the soft damp part and was wondering what products to use to fill in the void. 

I have read from other posts that Earl's 250ml Wood Hardener and Builder's Bog  are often recommended. Do I need to let the area dry for a few days before using the products?  Which sand paper do I need to sand it down and shape it?

Do I also need to apply some wet area silicone in the gap between the floor and the door moulding to prevent water from entering the gap. Could you recommend a product for this please?

WhatsApp Image 2022-10-25 at 3.12.07 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-10-25 at 3.12.08 PM.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Door frame next to shower area has wood rot

Hello @Fefe1578

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's magnificent to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your door frame.

You've done very well with your repair so far, removing the rotted soft wood is one of the first steps you need to do. Your next step is correct by applying Earl's 250ml Wood Hardener, this will remove any lingering moisture in the wood and restore its strength. Once it has dried off, I suggest filling the gap with timber of approximately the same size. 

Once you've placed the timber in place you can either glue or screw them into place. I suggest using Turbo 175ml Builders Bog Flexipack to fill the gaps and screw heads. Please make sure to fill all the gaps all around the area and do not leave any gaps near the shower floor.

In order to provide a superior shield against moisture, I suggest using Crommelin 1L Flat Aquablock Waterproof Primer Undercoat on the entire door frame to protect it from heavy moisture. You can then put on whatever top coat you want. I then recommend using Selleys 300g Clear Wet Area Waterproof Silicone Sealant on all the joints between the timber and your tile wall all the way to the floor.

I've placed an image below to give you an idea of how to put the timber fillers in. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects