Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install dishwasher in laundry

bobfossil
Finding My Feet

How to install dishwasher in laundry

PXL_20220222_233150389.jpg

We have a tiny kitchen and the laundry is right next door so are thinking of installing a dishwasher there. We have a single tap + power point so would that be fine to use for both washing machine and the dishwasher? I presume it would be possible to split the water for both but would appreciate advice on what attachment(s) I'd need to do so. There are two drainage holes in the laundry sink so probably wouldn't need to combine drain hoses with the washing machine/dishwasher.

Re: How to install dishwasher in laundry

Yes the nearest store is Ashfield, NSW and the postcode is 2132…. Other nearostore would be Bunnings, Greenacre - 2190…

Appreciate your help with this…

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Skyel2022

Thank you very much for your patience, I'm so sorry but the dishwasher installation service at the store does not cover washing machine installation. My best suggestion is to post the job on either Airtasker or Freelancer, you can also search for registered plumbers in your area. Just make sure to post as much detail as possible when describing what you want to be installed, this will give you a good chance of getting an immediate response.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JMK007
Getting Established

Hello Eric, 

Thanks for the post! Solved a lot of issues for me. I have been successful at installing my dishwasher into the laundry. 

Is there an alternative to the Nylex brass two way manifold? https://www.bunnings.com.au/nylex-brass-two-way-manifold_p0176445
If I were to install this, the height of the manifold + the height of the dishwasher fitting is too large for the space that I have. 

I have 185mm to play with overall.

image_67150593.JPGI am currently manually changing the cold water connection as and when needed. Not ideal! 

Something like this would be ideal, but I am not sure if this product is appropriate given all have a hard thread (not plastic) https://www.bunnings.com.au/holman-2-way-y-tap-outlet_p3120268

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give. 

:smile: 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JMK007

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your dishwasher hose installation.

I suggest adding these two pieces to your laundry tap. First is the Brasshards 20mm Brass Female / Female Threaded Elbow. Please make sure to use a Kinetic 12mm x 10m White Standard Thread Seal on the tap before screwing in the elbow. Second is the Brasshards 25 x 100mm Galvanised Pipe. Again, please make sure to put thread seal on both ends to prevent leaks. 

From this point, you can now install the Nylex Brass Two-Way Manifold without having to worry about space. Please note, I suggest putting at least four rounds of tape around the tap. The elbow does not need to be screwed all the way in, but it must be facing in the right direction when you install the two-way manifold. You'll see what I mean once you have the elbow and extension piece attached.

If the space is still inadequate, I suggest getting a Kinetic 1.2m Washing Machine/Dishwasher Double Ended Inlet Hose in combination with a Brasshards 20mm Brass Threaded Hexagon Nipple. Connect the hose to the tap and place the brass nipple at the other end which will allow you to connect the two-way manifold.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your washing machine hose connection sorted out.

Eric

JMK007
Getting Established

THANK YOU!!! That is wonderful. 

JMK007
Getting Established

Hello again Eric,

Any suggestions for an alternative to the Nylex 2-way manifold? All the other parts you mentioned are available. 
I can't get it at my local store and its 'out of stock' for delivery. 

Thanks so much. 
Justin 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JMK007 (Justin)

You can also try the Pope 2-Way Brass Threaded Tap and the Holman 2-Way Metal Tap Outlet. There are other options in the garden hose and accessories department. But these two are the ones I would recommend next to the Nylex manifold. In regards to the Holman series, you'll need to unscrew the snap lock adapter at the end of the outlet, the thread size is standard and will fit 20mm BSP fittings. 

In essence, you're looking for a garden tap splitter, but I suggest looking for the strongest one you can find and preferably made of brass. 

Eric

JMK007
Getting Established

Thanks Eric! I was able to purchase the Pope 2-way brass threaded tap this evening, and have successfully installed it. 
This option also solved the issue of limited, vertical space.  

image_67191553.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JMK007

Thank you for posting that update on your split tap assembly. It's good to see that you got some extra space with the Pope 2-Way Brass Threaded Tap. I suggest just keeping an eye on it from time to time to make sure that it does not leak.

Eric

This is EXACTLY. What I needed. I  spent the whole morning online trying to figure this out myself, a this even has the links to the exact parts. Thanks you Eric.👍🏼

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects