Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a bathtub accessible for showering?

Paul5
Finding My Feet

How to make a bathtub accessible for showering?

Hello community,

my mother in law has moved into a new abode, but the shower is located above the bathtub.This is a problem for an 88year old.I have seen that the bathtub can be cut to insert a door for walk in access.Any tradies out there who have done this type of renovation?Any ideas would be welcome.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make a bathtub accessible for showering?

Hello @Paul5

Thank you for sharing your question about how to make a bathtub accessible for showering?

Have you considered removing the tub and just tiling the area as a full walk-in shower? This will remove all the tripping hazards to the shower your mother inlaw might encounter in the future. She won't have to step over anything or have second thoughts about entering the shower. With the bath out of the way, she can have full use of the shower space.

I recommend placing an Estilo 50 x 48 x 30cm Shower Stool in case she needs to sit down. You can attach an evekare 900mm Stainless Steel Grab Rail to help her navigate the room. You could also custom-build the shower and give her a long bench to sit on. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing the bathroom renovated.

Let me tag our experienced members @tom_builds and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kys
Growing in Experience

My Dad has the same issue, and until ndis do the renovation he has a bath seat, the one he has helps lift him in and out as its currently a big corner bath with steps for entry and shower over the top.

I would look at a product that helps accessibility like one of these:

https://www.aidacare.com.au/products/bathroom-toilet/bath-aids/swivel-bathers

https://www.aidacare.com.au/products/bathroom-toilet/bath-aids/bath-transfer-benches

There are quite a few websites that sell similar

tom_builds
Making a Splash

Hi @Paul5 ,

After @EricL tagged me I had a quick look at conversion kits, and it seems as though there are a few manufacturers that make a kit that enables you to install a door into an existing bath. Unfortunately most of the links I found were from either the UK or the US.

I did find one link for an australian step through conversion without a door, based out of Bondi Junction.

I think @Kys's suggestion is probably going to be the quickest way to provide better access. If the bath is freestanding you could consider replacing it with a bath that has a door built into it (I found plenty of this with a quick google search). 

Hope some of this helps.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects