Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make the floor level before cabinets go can go in?

Jobey
Building a Reputation

How to make the floor level before cabinets go can go in?

Completed projectCompleted project

Hi All. New to workshop but really enjoying the posts and different ideas.

About to do a laundry reno. Old 70s house was partly renovated when I bought it, of course except for the wet areas. 

Laundry was very simple. Tub and washing machine. Space I have to play with is around 2.4m long. Plumber has been in to start moving pipes to become "hidden". I've removed the tiling and tub. When the plumber is ready to return I will cut away a lot of the plaster for him to do what he needs. (As you can see the plaster is past its use by date anyway) 

So have now noticed that the floors have previously been raised, I'm guessing so tiles can be laid throughout the house, hence leaving me with  2.5cm difference in floor height where the tub was. So question, Is this just a case of screeding to bring it up the same height as the rest of the floor?

Future plans are to install an 800mm kaboodle cabinet, washing machine, and 450mm flatpax linen chute. Cabinet doors will be simple in gloss white. I'll also replace the door on the chute to gloss white. Add an Abey 30L laundry trough and mixer tap. Love the look of the kaboodle 'smoked oak' benchtop. Will use wet area VJ panels instead of tiles to keep my budget down.

20210928_170912 (1).jpg20211002_171217.jpg20211010_120033.jpg20211010_120048.jpg

Jobey
Building a Reputation

Re: Need to make the floor level before cabinets go can go in

Well @MitchellMc another great idea and it actually would fit but a power point I just had moved will impede the pull out basket from opening. 

The tall cupboard is not pushed hard up against the wall as I need to have about a 40mm clearance for the cupboard door (opening left or right) to clear the laundry light switch that is on the door frame. So guessing I'm going to have to screw the right thickness of wood to the wall and secure the cupboard to that, then cover the whole gap with a piece of something. gap.jpg

Jobey
Building a Reputation

1000000699.jpg

1000000697.jpg

 Well it's been a while that's for sure. I got this laundry to a functioning point then lost my mojo to complete the finishing touches. Finally over the Xmas break I did it. Had to get in the ceiling to put in cross beams in so I had something to attach the rail to. Added a small oval mirror that I found on Temple and Webster. Used 6mm quad around the bench and 9mm on top of the VJ. So happy with the end result but kick myself for taking so long to do those finishing touches.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

What a sensational result @Jobey! You must be so pleased with how well that turned out; kudos to you!

Many thanks for updating us with the finished laundry, as I trust it will bring great inspiration to anyone who comes across your project here.

Well done!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects