Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove bathroom sink taps that won't come off?

DIYHaveaCrack
Cultivating a Following

How to remove bathroom sink taps that won't come off?

So removing taps to paint my vanity. It looked so easy in all the youtube videos! Mains water off (as the basin does not appear to have an isolation valve so better safe than sorry. Removed the cap. Thought the tap head would then either just lift off or screw off but does not want to budge after a certain point. Any suggestions? Might end up being a plumber job after all which is a shame.

20230912_102110_resized.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to remove bathroom sink taps that won't come off?

Hi @DIYHaveaCrack,

Have a look at Step 2 of Eric's guide How to replace a tap washerYou should be able to use pliers or a socket wrench to remove the locking nut under the cap you have removed.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYHaveaCrack
Cultivating a Following

Hi Jason. Perhaps this picture shows it better. I've removed the locking nut (which was like option 3 in Eric's step 2) and what is underneath is the top of the spindle so the tap should just lift off I reckon. It's pretty mucky and corroded looking.

Spindle top.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DIYHaveaCrack 

Thanks for posting that extra photo of your tap handle. I suspect that it has been lodged in due to excessive calcium buildup in the spindle. I recommend trying this method, using either a hammer or your metal shifter, tap the side of metal handle all around. The purpose of this is to loosen the hardened calcium inside the spindle.

Keep tapping it until the handle begins to swing left to right and you can wobble the handle with your hand. Once it is slightly loose you can then begin to shake it loose by wobbling the handle left to right, forwards and backwards. Using this motion, you should be able to make the handle climb up the spindle and off.

Please give this method a try and let me know if it is successful or not.

Eric

DIYHaveaCrack
Cultivating a Following

Hhhmm. Stubborn. I tried this method but I'm afraid of hitting the tap too hard. :smile: Also looking at the cold water tap I think it's even worse (see first pic). There is absolutely no gap around the spindle. Looks like the shower taps might be the same. The holding nut will come off but the tap handle won't budge (pic 2 and 3). The bath taps I can get the handle off (see picture) but the cover won't come over the white spring cover (just springs back). I haven't seen this setup in any of the tap changing videos. I'm not having much luck!Cold water tapCold water tapShower tap 1Shower tap 1Shower tap 2Shower tap 2Bath tapBath tap

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DIYHaveaCrack 

I can understand that it is frustrating when the handles won't budge, but I suggest being patient and keep tapping the handle until it comes loose. You've removed the fixing screw and nothing else is holding it in place. Use a steady tapping motion from all sides, it does not have to be a strong hit. Your objective to is to get some movement in the tap handle. 

Once the handle starts to move, you'll be able to loosen it up.

Eric

DIYHaveaCrack
Cultivating a Following

Okey dokey I'll have another crack (that's my name after all). Any thoughts Eric on the bath tap and why I can't get the collar off over the white piece?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DIYHaveaCrack 

In regards to the collar, I suggest using a Trojan 250mm Multigrip Plier on the white plastic piece in front and turning it anti-clockwise to remove it. Once you have the white plastic holder off the chrome collar should come off as well. Another method you can try is to try and turning the collar anti-clockwise and see if it will screw off. Please keep in mind not to use excessive force when working with plastic.

Please keep us in the loop and if you run into any other issues, please let me know.

Eric

Had any luck now @DIYHaveaCrack?

Jason

DIYHaveaCrack
Cultivating a Following

Hi Jason. No luck thus far. With the basin taps I also tried the WD40 and tap lifter to no avail. I've booked a plumber for next Tuesday and it may be that all he/she needs to do is remove the old taps and I can take it from there. I don't think this is a bad thing as I can also take the opportunity to ask LOTS of questions, possibly find an isolation valve on the vanity, he can cut the connect pipe for the new basin tap if needed and I can generally pick his/her brain while they are here. :smile:

Ann

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects