Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove thick stubborn paint?

Wouldy
Making a Splash

How to remove thick stubborn paint?

IMG20211130143954.jpg

IMG20211130143951.jpg

IMG20211130143946.jpg

IMG20211130143943.jpg

As you can see I need to get rid of this horrible green paint in the shower recess. I've been removing paint all day. I tried turps on this lot but not a chance. I have so much work to be done. What do you recommend that will make it come off without so much muscle put into it? 

Wouldy

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Removing thick stubborn paint

Hello @Wouldy

I suggest using Citristrip 946ml Paint Stripper Gel. I recommend testing a small spot to make sure it does not damage the finish of the tiles. Once you're happy with the results you can then apply it to the stubborn parts of the shower. Please make sure that you have a fan in the room when using this product so that you will have good ventilation. Be sure to use EyeShields Safety GlassesAnsell Workmates Disposable Gloves - 36 Pack, and Bear Disposable Paint Mask With Active Carbon Filter And Valve - 2 Pack to keep yourself safe.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the advice @EricL 

@EricL 

Worked out the shower actually may need replacing. Could get away with just getting the head sorted so it doesn't spray water everywhere, a new shower screen door as there isn't one and new taps. We could fix the tiles up later. The owners are Italians and will not pay a single cent for renovations. I'm not going to be bothered haggling or fighting with them. Can't be bothered. 

I've not done a shower before so think this may be the cheaper option to go down. It's only a rental but I want to live comfortably. 

Would going the distance to do it all including tiles be much more expensive? I can't do this project as time is just not on my side at thus point. 

Wouldy. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Wouldy,

@EricL will be back after the weekend and might have some additional thoughts to add.

Is your question whether a total refit of the shower would be much more expensive than replacing the showerhead, screen and taps? If so, then yes, it would be substantially more costly to pay tradespeople to do the jobs. Once the tiles are removed, you'll likely need to redo the waterproofing before retiling. There are several days' worth of work there. It might be the difference between paying $500-$800 for the screen, taps and showerhead and $1500-$2500 for complete retiling and a shower screen.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc 

Hi. Thanks for the advice. I'm re thinking this house. I might have to think about buying it. The work is a lot and it's not worth doing it being a renter. I didn't know the amount of work before signing the lease. All good though. The owners have not taken care of their property. They can't expect top dollar. No way. 

Wouldy

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Wouldy,

As a renter of over 20 years, I have nothing but an appreciation of your situation. I, too, am in a situation where the owner does not wish to spend any money on the property. After so many years, I'm a reasonably savvy renter, and I play the game. Any improvement you make needs to be offset by the rent you pay. If rent is high, you don't make improvements. If rent is low, you make enough improvement that life is comfortable. My rent is low compared to the area I live in, so I have painted all walls and repaired them, installed a new vanity, refurbed the bath, re-grouted the bathroom, I've paid for my own pool cleaning equipment, updated all sink taps/handles, and do many other things that I shouldn't have to. This is all offset by the rent I pay.

To be honest, if this was me, that shower calls for a coat of Rust-Oleum Tile Transformations Coating System at best. I'm really not sure what that green paint is, but it can't be better than an appropriate tile coating system.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc 

I feel for you. This is what some owners do sadly. It's not fair, yet also not worth the fight. 

This is what I cleaned out from an already very damaged laundry cupboard already today. 

IMG20211204122459.jpg

I've been going too hard since moving here a week ago yesterday day. I'm beyond exhaustion so resting and also processing for a few days. Two of us live here and pay $175 each per week. Electricity and water. Internet is free. Lots to consider. 

They own 7 houses and want to leave them all for their already rich kids. The house this far is worth nothing. Just the land value really. 

Wouldy

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Wouldy!

If that paint stripper doesn't work - maybe this? Possibly overkill.

The angle grinder would need variable speed.

Sorry to hear about your renting plight. Good renters don't get a fair deal. My son is a renter and I believe at times he has been treated appallingly by his real estate agent.

Going too far?Going too far?

@Noyade 

It's hard to find good owners that treat tenants fairly. The only thing I can do in this case is be quiet, observe and eventually make things work in my favour instead of not. Watch this space. 

I won't take an angle grinder to it just yet. I'm fermenting my thoughts and ideas at the moment. 

Wouldy

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects