Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove this tap bonnet?

ijon469
Just Starting Out

How to remove this tap bonnet?

I'm having trouble understanding how to remove the outer cover/bonnet from this style of tap that's all through my house. The bonnet turns easily enough but I can't lift it of the tap fixture as the loose brass threat shown does not allow it.  The lip of the fixture where the tap handle sits does not allow either the thread or the bonnet to be removed. Any suggestions?

7EB45FBC-3AF6-45B2-9A65-1353B4354FFA.jpeg

martin1
Growing in Experience

Re: Tap bonnet removal

you just need to prise the dark coloured circlip off the top of the spindle. Then the brass nut will be free 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ijon469. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about tap bonnet removal.

It sounds like @martin1 is on the money, and that clip needs to be removed. Have you tried pulling it up with pliers?

That copper thread shouldn't move and is attached to the spindle. So the bonnet should unscrew off of it.

Please let us know if you have difficulty removing that clip.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Yep all good. Got the clip off easily enough. The spindle though is immovable. Bought a specific tap spanner set and it burred the tool. Using multi grip plyers started to damage the brass spindle so I've stopped for now - think I'll call a plumber. Don't want to break the whole basin set just accessing a washer! It's on unbelievably tight..

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That sounds like a good option, @ijon469. You certainly don't want to strip the nut on the spindle.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects