Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair shower grout?

TH
Getting Established

How to repair shower grout?

I just moved into a place about 20 years old. The two showers both need regrouting. I can see gaps between the grout and tiles, and missing grout.

I have removed grout with a grout hand saw before, and found the grout came up easily. However the grout in these showers are rock hard and wouldn't budge. What can I use to remove the grout? 

The existing grout is lower than the tiles. Would it be ok to apply epoxy grout over the top of old grout?

I also need to remove old silicone. I've used selleys silicone remover and found it iineffective. Any other suggestions would be most welcome. 

Thank you!

20231203_135719.jpg

20231203_140028.jpg

Re: How to repair shower grout?

Hi @Jewelleryrescue,

Thanks for the detailed reply. It's very helpful. 

The tiles in the shower had moved up (see photo) but still seemed solid. I had regrouted it with cement based grout then sealed it with Betta shower sealer; it was fine for a while, then I saw staining outside the hob (2 photos), one at the corner and one on the side (not exactly on the other side of the popped tiles). Not sure if it's poor grouting or damaged membrane. Would you both applying epoxy grout to this, or is it a re-waterproof and re-tile job? 

I'm keen to stay on top of maintenance so I don't get into these troublesome problems again 🙂

20240123_213924.jpg

20240123_082156.jpg

20240123_082213.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @TH 

Looking at the pictures you posted it appears that your last repair is still in good condition. Some of the sealers of course would have started to stain bit due to its location in the bathroom. 

If there is no evidence of a major leak in that area, I propose just regrouting the area. However, if there is evidence of undertile flooding or plasterboard damage due to a water leak then I suggest removing the tiles and re-applying waterproofing before putting on the new tiles. Just be aware that this will involve removing all the tiles as waterproofing needs to be applied as a single coat.

Please note that it might be necessary to engage a registered water proofing agent to complete this work. If in doubt consult your local building authority before starting.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @TH 

Great effort sealling the tiles and hob to water tight as  @EricL  says  there are no major failure or leaks .  The photo with the brown stains looks like a fine grout crack underneath so take out a  small amount of grout to get back to solid gruot  and simple to do mask tiles and fill with cream color bathroom silicon smooth it out with a turps wet rag just one  corner of  rag,

I might scrape the grout  around on the second  brown stain on floor  and do the same.

While you have your silicone out  seal across the tile tops and under the the shower screen in photo 1.  do both sides so mold has no place to hide.

Photo 3 is no issues seen   just a regular clean up once in awhile.

I think your repair efforts to date have done  well just minor touch ups  I cant see any evidence of membrain  leak Ie pools of water  leaving the hob.  No need to  fill hob as a test as area not a pool area,

A bit of silicone inside the grout cavity 1/2 mm will work as good as epoxy  and can be redone later if need be/

Touch up any other  dark grout line you wish as silicon will go hard in a few weeks inside tube.

Keep up the good  work, @TH 

20240205_083437.jpgHi @Jewelleryrescue and @EricL,

Just want to thank you both for the detailed replies. I took the grout off and found dark marks where water has been seeping through the hob. I've waited for many days and it hasn't dried out yet, but once it's dry I'll apply the advice. 

Thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Thanks for the update @TH, you can hurry up the drying process by using a hair dryer or heat gun if you have one in your toolbox. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your tiles grouted.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @TH 

Big effort you have done getting that grout out I know i have being in your shoes I know how  hard it can be not to meantion hard on the knees.

You may want to spritz those  dark patches with exit mould just in case they are mould spores I want you job to succeed .  The little extra moisture on top will dry quickly

Maybe it is easier to silicon(cream  color)  the grout lines between the tiles  as you will need  silicon between the hob and  the screen this  will save you messing with grout too   To help make your life easier do  use masking  tape to mask off the tile grout lines to make  a neat  job.  Use  turps on a  plastic  gloved finger to smooth the silcon into the grout lines and a make a nice  curved fillet shape  joining the shower screen and tile hob.

Keep up the job work.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects