Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a toilet roll holder?

Missskybird
Building a Reputation

How to replace a toilet roll holder?

I’m having difficulty installing a new toilet roll holder on our spare toilet in the laundry.

C72C7469-2440-45C1-B489-006DB1510E6C.jpeg

13D9AFB7-9EEA-460A-A948-DC175070B544.jpeg

The old toilet roll holder was installed using a gravity toggle, vertically.

Unfortunately the plate to install the new toilet roll holder can only be installed horizontally.

I drilled holes and clearly hit a stud. I used the stud finder and it keeps indicating either electrical wiring or studs.

I then tried two versions of liquid nails but neither held it securely once I attached the entire holder.

I would appreciate any advice as to how I can solve my problem.

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

Re: How to replace a toilet roll holder?

Oh dear, I am sorry I thought I could help but I don’t think so. I removed my old toilet holder because it was ugly and bought a suction holder from Bunnings. It fell off a few times until I read the instructions but it hasn’t  fell off for a year. I better leave this to the experts.

Thank you anyway!

Let me tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert in @EricL to assist you this afternoon @Missskybird.

Thanks for your patience,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hello @Missskybird,

Many thanks for sharing your question about how to replace a toilet roll holder. I'm sure our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL would be happy to assist you once he's online later on in the day. 

In the meantime, sharing a couple of related resources below that you may find useful: 

Akanksha 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Missskybird

I suggest moving the location of the toilet roll holder just a few centimetres away from the plumbing or electrical services indicated by your stud finder. Looking at the installation manual the mounting plate has two holes for two screws to go into. I recommend using Ramset 6 x 38mm Universal Anchor. This will allow you to install two anchors in the wall side by side. My number one tip is to drill pilot holes for the plugs so that you can install them side by side.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Missskybird
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric

i have tried that several times hence why I resorted to Liquid nails.

It seems like there is quite a lot of timber and wiring in the walls. The house is over sixty years old so nothing would surprise me.

The metal plate you screw onto the wall will hold the plate but once I try to attach the holder it falls off the wall.

Any other suggestions? It is so frustrating 🤦‍♀️

Hi @Missskybird, that's an interesting description, but I am having trouble picturing what's happening for you. 

If you have found a wooden stud then you should be able to screw the backing plate securely to the wall at that point using timber screws. The roll holder should then attach to it either by a small screw, usually located out of sight on the lower edge, or else it will be rotated to lock it onto the plate (depends on the brand/model). I guess you'll know which method. 

When you say it falls off the wall when you attach the holder do you mean the backing plate and all falls off, or just the roll holder section ?

If it all falls off then the plugs that you are using to hold the backing plate have not spread out and gripped the back of the wall as they should. This could happen if you drill the holes too big. The plugs need to be pushed firmly in and grip the side of the plaster as they go.  If you screw directly into the timber stud instead then you won't have that problem.  

The whole lot falls off.

I was attempting to attach the backing plate to the wall with liquid nails as I had been drilling into the wall so that I could you the plugs and screws supplied unsuccessfully.

Thank you I will just give wood screws a try.

Also could you let me in on the secret way to screw that tiny little screw into the bottom of the holder? It’s impossible 🤦‍♀️

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Missskybird

I'll be passing by one of the stores tomorrow, let me double-check the mounting instructions for you. The only other possibility that comes to mind is that your wall might be a brick wall that's been covered over with Gyprock. This means that you'll need to use a masonry drill bit to drill into your wall so that you can mount your toilet roll holder. 

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects